Profile picture for sammy4345

Walk Through

I did my walk through on a short sale and the original toilet was taken out of the bathroom and the owner is no longer living there but has much more to move out. I'm afraid that if he took the toilet out he will be taking many other things. i told my buyers agent that this is unacceptable and I want the toilet replaced I also emailed the listing agent with my concerns, but have not heard anything back. I will be doing another walk through before I close and my biggest fear is if the owner took the toilet he will take more...what else can I do about this? What are my rights? The purchase agreement states the owner must leave these things in place anything attached. Is there anything else I can do... ? Thanks for your help....Location Michigan

August 03 2012 - Lake Orion

Best Answer
Sammy,
Items that are attached to the walls, ceilings and floors are fixtures and are to remain with the property unless excluded in the signed purchase agreement.

You may wish to consult an attorney and have the attorney attend the closing with you. You should not have to contact the listing agent, that is your agents responsibility.

If items are missing at your final walk through, you can still close and demand that money be placed in escrow to cover replacement of the missing items. Bring a contractor with you for the final walk through so they can write an estimate to replace the missing items.

Best of luck at closing!

First, no one getting back to you is just not acceptable!!!  There is just no excuse for that!!  Even if I don't know an answer, I acknowledge I got the contact and then go to work helping my client!!  While your agent can't make the sellers put it back...he/she should sure be talking to the other agent on your behalf and doing everything he/she can...at the very least returning your call!

I do a ton of short sales [hot link deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy]   If the seller really cares about doing a short sale instead of foreclosing, he will make things right!  You could threaten to not close and see if it gets action.  At the end of the day, though, it's probably not worth the cost of a toilet to stop the sale.  However, just making the threat may stop them from doing anything else.

As a side note--  If you try and get the money put in escrow to repair the toilet, your HUD would have to be re-approved by the bank .  From experience, I can tell you there is a better chance of pigs flying than the bank allowing that escrow money.  They want that money!  You should also consider that the task of re-approving the HUD will most likely put you past the deadline to get closed.  The banks don't give at all!

Your in a difficult position.  You could take them to court after the fact but they probably won't care.  You need to decide if you want to walk away.  Legally, you are in the right.....but you may be dealing with someone who just doesn't care.

Blessings to you that things are resolved.  Call me if you have any more questions.

Sammy, don't assume the owner took the toilet. It may have been stolen. Do the sellers have homeowner's insurance to cover the theft?

Is the property secured? That would be my top priority at this point.

Have one of the real estate agents present for the remainder of the move out to ensure other things aren't taken.

If you really want the property, I wouldn't let the toilet, a retail value of $200, kill the deal. In a short sale, money is in short supply so you might have difficulty getting the already distressed sellers to pay.

Sure you can cancel the transaction over this, but don't lose sight of the big picture. I would wait until final walk-through to see what you're actually getting.