"Walk-in" closet vs. Reach in

My master bedroom is about 20" wide and we have a "walk-in" closet that extends the width of one end of the room.  I use the " " because you can't really walk in to the closet.  It's only about 2.5" deep and has two doors on the front.  The wall and the doors are, if anything, in the way.  

When we moved in to the house I suggested to my realtor that I might like to cut that wall away and make it either a reach in closet or perhaps install some other type of doors that make the area more accessible--pocket, french, etc.  He said that taking away the "walk in" would reduce my home's value.  

I'd really like to make this change but will, at some point, need to resell the house.  Can anyone give me advice on this?  Thank you.  

September 01 2013 - Crofton

Best Answer
Well first of all , if your closet is 30in. deep then you don't have a walk-in closet.  You have a reg. closet it's just longer.

I have changed doors out because of the situation you mentioned for clients but ones that just want the doors opening half out (French doors) instead of the whole slab door being in the way...but these are people that plan on keeping their home.

From a buyers look at the situation I don't think you would gain anything by a door switch...cause it isn't a walk-in closet.
You may list it that way but any interested buyer is going to see it as a reg.closet  and not notice the doors at all because of the disappointment of it not being a walk-in.

I'm not trying to be mean but I have been looking at homes saying they have newly renovated kitchens and baths....they're 6-7 years old....that's not newly renovated not to mention the fact that they were renovated on a builders scale.
When you renovate you are suppose to upgrade ...some.

Anyway if the door change is something you want to do because you would enjoy the space more then do it for yourself. It's not going to matter on resale.
-Joseph-

James if you are going to do it. I have a simple way to accomplish the task.

All reg. sized doors can be easily fitted with bi-folds...many people don't like bi-fold but there is a way to turn them into your French panel doors.

They are fit the same opening as your slab door removed ( leave the frame just remove the hinges and door) next apply car bondo to the hinge hole left cause the hidge is no longer there.
When it dries , sand smooth and paint...now you have that problem fixed without replacing or disturbing exsisting fasing or casing.

Now remove the hinges from the panel bi-folds and take the doors apart, place them on the opposite ends in which they were screwed together.
Install new / smaller 3in hinges on them ( the bi-fold hinges can be thrown out ) and screw them into the facings you repaired and painted. 3 per door.

Next intall a flat pc. of flat wood on the back of the bi-fold you want to be the first door shut ( because the other will close against it) leave it down from the top of the door 1in. because of the next step.

Close one door and mark with a pencil where it looks lined up at (above your head) now do the other side. These marks is where you will install your door stop. and close magnets to hold doors shut.
Your done. You just made your problem go away and now you have french style panel doors. Use cabinet knobs as pulls and you will have to get extended screws 1 1/4 because the doors are thicker than cabinets.

All these pcs. and the bondo I spoke of can be purchased at lowes with the door sets.
You dont need a miter saw or a lot a diy experience cause they are all straight cuts off already finished trim pcs. and the doors fit and don't need alterations.

I have done them in under 2 hours counting a coat of paint,
-Jospeh-

Thank you Joseph. The closet has been bothering me since we moved in. I'll likely change it now. -James

When you go to resell this house, 974x, the closet will probably not be a factor. If it is, you can restore it to its original layout.

The more functional a home is, the more marketable it is.  The closet you have now creates difficulty to get to all the usable area.  Definitely open up the walls and replace with high quality, beautiful doors, French or bi-fold.  When it is time to resell, market the "expansive closet space." 
By the way, many walk in closets are walk in, back out closets--they have less usable space than the reach ins. Having a reach in closet is not a bad thing, but having difficult access in your closet is.