Profile picture for SeekingHomes

Walk-through with the builder before closing

I have a walk through with the builder of a finished home and was wondering what is it like? Would they give me a list (heard it's known as a punch list) of the things that they have gone through with inspection and check it off as good? Or they would give me a general tour like here's the kitchen and what are here and I have to look for things that might be wrong or do my own checks (ex: water faucet is working, countertop/cabinets look good with no cuts/scratches, appliances are working, and etc)? Do I come in with my own checklist to look check (given if I don't hire an inspector).

Thanks so much!!!
  • November 20 2013 - US
  • 0

The builders walk through is where they will go over all warranties and go over the mechanics and components of the home and show you how they work . Also the builder may give you some blue masking tape and to tag the walls or anything that you feel needs to be repainted or fixed for the punch out crew - then you will meet again one more time before closing to make sure the items that you tagged are completed. I do  suggest for buyers to hire an inspector on new construction-  

Hope this helps!

No inspection?  Even a new home can have problems you cannot see. You should have it professionally inspected.  Usually the home inspector gives  you a list of what needs to be corrected.

The builder only looks out for the builder.  They have no interest or requirement to tell you what needs to be fixed.  You have to come up with your own punch list.