Profile picture for Bimal1

Want to refi my FHA Loan. Help Needed

All - I bought a new house in Phoenix/Chandler for $260K in Jan 2010. I paid 3.5% down and got the FHA loan @ 5.125% for 30 years fixed. I was thinking of refinancing the loan considering the interest rates are down. I contacted by BoA loan officer who gave me a rate of 3.25% for 15 years fixed which would take my monthly payment (P&I+Insurance+PMI+Tax) from ~$1700 to $2000. But when the underwriter looked at the loan documents, she declined it saying that FHA can not be refinanced from 30 year to 15 years. I read through other discussions on this forum and looked like HUD had a rule change in Dec 2010 which wont allow refi from 30 year to 15 year. So, what are my options? Is paying down 20% and converting the FHA to conventional loan the only good option? Thanks in advance.
  • May 29 2012 - Ocotillo Lakes
  • 0

You could also refi into another FHA loan 30 year fixed rate at about 3.75%.   You could always make extra payments to pay off the loan at a faster pace.   The rate isn't as good as the 15 year fixed rate, but it is a heck of a lot better than your current rate.

If you have the money to pay down the balance under 80% of the appraised value, then I would do that to avoid mortgage insurance alltogether.

I doubt that money is doing much for you right now anyways since interest rates are so low on savings or CD's and the stock market is so volatile. 

You can do a streamline from a 30 Yr to 15Yr if the new payment is 5% less, it should not have been submitted to underwriting if the payment went up $300. There is nothing stopping you from doing a full doc 15 Yr FHA
( with appraisal ) loan if you qualify and you have 2.25% equity, do you?