Washington NC's Historic District

Which comes first in revitalizing a traditional downtown; businesses or residents to patronize businesses? I believe, that promoting, encouraging and facilitating upper story downtown residential is the logical step for a town to take in order to increase its population and tax base, retain existing businesses and attract new, protect its stock of great downtown buildings, and ultimately, fill up store fronts.
  • July 07 2011 - Washington

I wish I knew the answer to your question.  Here in Jacksonville NC, we've been trying to revitalize downtown for a while, but the businesses that move in aren't the kind that will attract people to live in the area, they're more like attorney's offices etc.  I think what you really need is a community that is committed to revitalization of both the commercial and residential sectors.