Profile picture for montero113

Washington Park

My favorite thing about this park is that I found it completely by accident.

I like to take evening walks, and I vary my route each time. I love walking at dusk and admiring the beautiful houses, seeing the endless rosebushes that Pasadena residents adore, and hearing the birds sing their final songs before twilight.

One evening, I found myself at the corner of Claremont and El Molino, and as I was deciding which way to walk, I saw a vast swath of green to my left, which I happily realized was a park. That was the first evening of many that I spent walking across the little trail that leads from the west end of the park, winding under eucalyptus trees, and ending up at the swingset.

I always sit in the same swing - the far right one - and I watch the trees darken against the sky I fly through the air like a girl on a trapeze. The first time I did this, I hadn't been on a swing in a really long time. I completely forgot how addictive it is, and how your stomach lurches up, and laughter escapes your lips because of how thrilling it is to whip through the open air and simultaneously battle the irrational fear that you'll launch off of the swing.

There are picnic tables, a baseball diamond, tennis courts, and I'm sure a lot of other things, but all I care about is that lovely, perfect, makes-everything-else-seem-trivial swingset.
  • August 13 2007 - North Central
  • 0