Water drop sound in the master bathroom roof

From last 2-3 months,
I have water dropping sound for every 1-2 minutes coming from my master bathroom roof.
I have no access to the bathroom roof because of the way the house was designed and rooms were constructed.
Its a two storeyed home. 
When I switch on the exhaust fan in the master bathroom, I don't hear the water dropping sound. 
The home was constructed in 2010 and I need to do home inspection before the warranty expires. I want to know how the potential inspector can check into the issue, so that I can hire the correct person.
Nate

May 04 2012 - Frisco

I would call a home inspector and ask if they have an infrared camera. You may be able to "see" into the wall by looking for a temperature difference. When you call inspectors, tell them upfront what you suspect and ask how they might be able to find that issue without opening the wall first.

Based on what they and on their experience, your can hire the inspector that will be able to do a solid inspection. You might start your interviews with a few ASHI inspectors in your area or ask a local broker in your area for a solid referral.

Here are a couple possibilities:
1- Your bathroom ceiling fan vent tube does not extend upward through the roof, and thereby dumps moist air from showering into the attic.  This can rot the roof structure elements over a long period, too.

2- The bathroom drain and flush pipes will be vented to the outside, through the outer roof.  It seems conceivable that condensation inside that pipe might be dripping down to a bend in the pipe.

3- Depending on where you are, surely not this late in the year, perhaps melting snow.  We've had blowing snow storms that dumped a couple inch snow drift in the attic (coming in through the attic vent louvers).  Then later when the attic warms up, even several days later, the snow begins to melt.

4- Some aftermarket central A/C systems have ductwork in the attic.  Poorly installed insulation can allow condensation on the chilled sheet metal duct.

5- A critter is living in there (bat, squirrel, bird, ...)

I have had some level of success using the stethoscope that came with a blood pressure cuff, to isolate where on the ceiling the drips may be landing.  Which will tell you where they are dropping from (although attic moisture just LOVES to travel several feet along a roof structure element, then drip above an innocent other room).  

Those are some shots in the dark.   
Good luck.  
-Lee