Profile picture for VCook729

We are constantly looking at our house and it's value--and I don't think it's been updated recently.

• March 22 2010 - Salem
  • 0

Profile picture for Don Greenberg
If you look, Zillow shows when it last updated your estimate when you click on your specific house information page. Like the others said, if you're in a slow market area and nothing is selling, Zillow will have no basis on which to change the value of your home. Have you gone through and created your "own estimate"? From my experience when you do this, you create an inflated value of your home. Try it out though; you can pick comparable properties in the area.

It is possible your location is going through a spell where nothing sells in your price range.  Or the local tax authority has not updated the info that zillow receives.  That has happened to me several times.  Under the Home menu entry search your immediate area and price range and keep track.  If nothing is showing as selling, your zestimate should not change.  Also, search other price ranges close by.

As Melina says, do not get too attached to your zestimate.  An evaluation by local agents might produce very different results because they can include items zillow's computer does not consider.  That being said, I keep a close eye on my house and area too.  It helps me understand what is happening in my house market.

Profile picture for Melina Tomson
If you mean the estimated value on Zillow, it is just an estimate.   The Zestimates get crunched on a regular basis but it's not like they update the numbers on a daily basis. 

If you want to know the real value of your house you would hire an appraiser.  If you want to know about what your house will bring on the real estate market, you would ask a few agents to do CMA's for you.