Profile picture for qwa
  • qwa
  • 1 contribution

We are selling a 100 year old house that has been painted every 5-7 years. One small area is peeling

small back porch area has some peeling. The appraiser whom I understand also follows FHA guidelines wants the whole house which is otherwise in excellent condition, scraped and re-painted. He also is asking that the slate roof be repaired that was just inspected and several slates replaced. No leakage. Are these legitimate requirements? How would any older home sell if all had to be repainted?
  • March 01 2011 - Alliance

Those are unreasonable requests, but requests nonetheless from the buyers lender (as represented by the appraiser). Simply choose not to do them as the seller and sell to someone else, or choose to do them and sell your home to this buyer.

As an FHA appraiser, I ask the any peeling paint be scraped and repainted - period, not non-peeling paint. Paint does not carry with it ID to show me when it was applied, but peeling paint is simply a no no. A roof cert should suffice, as any appraiser is not a roof expert.

I totally agree with Vince.   Only the peeling paint area needs to be addressed, not the entire home. Your loan officer is not allowed to speak with the appraiser, so maybe your agent could call to clarify this with the appraiser.

I am sure each state FHA inspector had their own set of guidelines.  I sold a home and the FHA inspector came out, I had facia peeling.  He instructed us to put down cover the catch the pieces, scrape the peeling area and repaint over the area so it was not peeling.  My painter actually had to come back out, the inspector found a few small paint chips on the ground...they are very serious but I would find it unlikely they could make you paint and scrape the entire home..I would call and get a 2nd inspector or call a higher up.  Being that it is government, I would think they have to abide by the same rules.

Once the Appraisal is completed, it is acceptable to contact the Appraiser for clarification.  I have found most Appraisers to be very helpful in explaining exactly what they need done to be in compliance with FHA Guidelines.   There is no FHA requirement for non-peeling paint to be repaired, as other Advisors have noted.   It is also acceptable to inquire exactly what part of the roof needs to be repaired if you believe that there are no issues with the roof, especially since you state that you recently had the roof repaired.    Good luck!!