Profile picture for jewlz3304

We both have good credit, but mine is better - get loan together or alone?

My fiance and I would like to refinance our 1st mortgage.  We just looked up our credit scores, mine is 794 and his is 746.  Would the lower score change the rate at all?  Is that enough of a difference that we should look at a refi in my name alone (is that even possible)?  I may be able to qualify for it, but I think it would be close. 

April 13 2009 - US

Both of you can go on the loan, lenders use the lowest middle score or the two borrowers and with high credit scores like you have it should not change your rates.  Remember, the credit scores the lender pulls may be higher or lower than the scores you see.   You both have very good credit. 

I agree with the rest, don't split hairs...go buy your home!  The line of good lenders wanting to serve you is long and distinguished!

Yeah, don't even worry about it.  Fannie and Freddie top out at 740 according to there basic guidelines, so anything above that won't matter anyway. 

Both of you are in the top tier with most lenders.  A few have slightly better rates for 760+ ficos but I find those lenders do not have as competitive rates to begin with.  

A handful of sources will offer slightly better pricing for scores over 780, but the difference is very small (cost of .25% of loan amount better).  Not enough of a difference in my opinion to remove a borrower.

You can do it jointly.