We want to buy house but have to sell ours 1st - is this the norm in Central PA

Argent won't even consider writing a contract for a house until we sell our house (have under contract) Telling us that this is the way it is done in Central PA area
  • July 26 - Harrisburg

You should consider giving your realtor a loan pre-approval from a bank.  Not sure if your going to need a loan or not but if you are you might want to go through the pre-approval process as well.

• August 01

No, that is not the "Norm".  You are paying for a Service, someone to guide you through a home purchase.  Someone to present your offers, how ever you chose to offer them.  The Seller will make the decision to accept or decline. 

I put a Link on the Consumer Notice you should have received from your Agent.

Good Luck!! 

Nicolette Wayand 
Real Estate Law requires that I provide you with a Consumer Notice which describes the various business relationship choices you have with a real estate licensee. Since we are discussing real estate without you having the benefit of this Consumer Notice, I have the duty to advise you that any information you give me at this time is not considered to be confidential - unless and until you and I enter into a business relationship.
At our first meeting I will provide you with a written Consumer Notice which explains those relationships
and my corresponding duties to you.
  • August 01

Writing a contingent offer would lower your chances of getting accepted in the current market. So, you might want to request for a longer escrow. 
There will be a lot of coordination and it is going to be tricky for the agent. But I am sure he/ she will appreciate working for you on both. 
The sale of your house can be an expedited escrow and request buyers to remove contingencies promptly.
  • July 26

In an active market, very few sellers will accept an offer contingent on selling your home.       If your home is under contract (with a very solid contract) and contingencies have been lifted, then your agent will probably be more cooperative.
  • July 26