Profile picture for brisket

Well, here I am again. Thought I'd try it one more time. I'm on the "What is a Zestimate?". Whe

I'm on the "what is a Zestimate page?"  Now where am I supposed to go from here to get a Zestimate for my home?  Perhaps you can't understand what my problem is, so let me elaborate.  There is no recognizable link that suggests "get a Zestimate" or "enter your home information here" or anything else that gives a clue that new users should start here.  For example, the "what is a Zestimate?" page only describes the Zestimate, it gives no information for how to get one.  Nor directs the user to the next logical page for entering home info.  I suggest that you regular users try to imagine that you know nothing about the Zillow website, then pretend you are trying to get a Zestimate.  And no fair: nothing you know from experience on the website can be used to guide you.
  • July 27 2011 - Hayden Lake

Brisket -

As you live in Idaho - you will never be able to get a "Zestimate" on Zillow.com.  Idaho is a non-disclosure state and Zillow can not access sold data in order to give you a Zestimate.

There are 8 states that are non-disclosure and Zillow is unable to give Zestimates in those states.

If you would like a "quickie" CMA, email me - I'll send you a list of the sold homes in your neighborhood, no obligation.

Profile picture for brisket
wetdawgs: well, for starters, I've only figured out how to get the satellite image of my property.  I still don't have an actual Zestimate.  And you say "of the millions of users": if this website is actually that popular, Zillow should be more concerned about their corporate image.  Finally, you may find the Zestimate to be "relatively easy and intuitive".  I've been programming computers since 1968, and I've found this site to be anything but intuitive.

If you zoom in on the map, you may find more Zestimates. 

Since Zillow changed the front page to the snippet I offered earlier (after the linked post was written) once or twice a week someone asks how to get a Zestimate .    Considering the millions of monthly users, Zillow has made a lot of progress considering how few programmers are in residence.  Where do you think it should be?

There are a number of features on this site that take a bit of digging. My perspective (and I'm not a Zillow employee) is that Zestimates are one of the easier ones.  But, each of us has our own intuitive processes.

Profile picture for brisket
wetdawgs, OK thanks.  This time when I entered my address, I got a satellite image of my house and neighborhood with the few for-sales tagged.  I guess that's it, so progress has been made.  The webmaster for the Zillow site might want to add an obvious link to "get a Zestimate".  One poster may well have posted detailed instructions for getting a Zestimate, but if users can't find it, what good is it?  My first visit I tried searching by entering "Zestimate", browsing blogs, etc, so if it's there, it ain't obvious.

If I was a brand new user (and we all were at one point), I'd start at www.zillow.com

On the page that opens, I'd see the following section.

So, I'd enter the address and hit "go".   

One poster has written excruciatingly detailed instructions here.

If your computer is hanging up when you hit "go", perhaps you could tell us what operating system and browser you are using.   Do you have java working?