Well or City Water?

Will converting from Well to City water help the value of my home?
  • July 27 2007 - US

Profile picture for eweez2010
I don't know about the value of your home.
But if I were buying your home, I would be concerned if it did not have city water. Assuming your "city water" is highly rated and doesn't cost above the average for the state. Well water is always a good additional selling point for landscaping uses, saves money, etc., but not for personal use.

Thanks for the input. I didn't even think about keeping the well for landscaping uses, I have over a half acre. Great idea. Thanks!

Profile picture for GollyGeee
My response...Paper or plastic.
The well is better for the envorinment , but doesn.t last so long, that is it will require replacement of parts, pump, piping, wire, etc.
Public water, you know that you have water, and the price will always go up.
You gotta pay for it, its just whats most comfortable for you.
I'd go with paper.

Profile picture for Beachside Florida

I once saw a bumpersticker that read "Well water is Naturally better"  

In all honesty, I have not seen it increase or decrease the value of a property.   However, anytime a home is bought/sold that has a well as its domestic water source, a couple additional test should always be conducted.   1) A well flow test.    In many areas having a well and having enough water are not always one and the same.     2) A potable water test to test for the presence of coliform bacteria.     Both these test should be done to protect the new homowner.   If these tests are not done before purchase, you could wind up buying a home that does not have an acceptable water source for your family.    And in some cases, it will take tens of thousands of dollars to fix the problem.

Hope this information helps.

Profile picture for gvw3
  • gvw3

City water is by far the best. I would not buy a house that had a well. Been there done that.

Here in my rural part of Oregon, city water is a huge plus.

That was  the big reason we bought the place I own now. I am on city water and I have a spring for irrigation.

The wells around here tend to run dry in late summer, or have bad water, or could go dry and you could spend thousands digging a big dry hole and never hit water.

I would get on city water and keep the well for irrigation. You're lucky to have the option to get on city water.