What's a sly line?

Hi, I'm trying to make sense out of a parcel map. All the other houses rear fences are on the "Sly Line" except mine. Years ago the prior home owner of my home had rebuilt the fence 2 to 3 feet back. I'm going to have it rebuilt in line with all the other fences, but when looking at the parcel map to verify the property line I was confronted by a rectangle representing my property (others properties are also rectangles) and a dotted line that's described as "SLY LINE LOTS 1361 thru 1370".

The rear neighbor's property is on a different parcel map. It's just a rectangle and there's no mention of the sly line on that map.

I've contacted the neighbor about rebuilding the fence, he didn't have a problem with it, but if he looks at the parcel map he'll probably be as confused as I am.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Larry

• July 23 2013 - Mira Mesa
  • 0

Best Answer

It is probably a surveyor abbreviation meaning Southerly.  

Thanks. I checked on your answer and found it correct in a surveyor's abbreviations table. I had been searching all over for the definition of "sly line" not thinking that sly was an abbreviation.

Larry