Profile picture for iteach4nyc

What's in it for me?

I'm new at this buying process, so I need your help.  I'm buying an out-of-town property.  Closing set for next week.  Attorney confirmed closing with me today and also said he would be representing the Lender (my out-of-town Credit Union), too.  As the Buyer, I am responsibile for paying both MY attorney and the BANK's attorney.  In this case, THEY ARE THE SAME PERSON.  Then why do I have to pay the Bank's attorney fee?
  • January 16 2009 - Long Island City
  • 0

Usually in this case where the attorney is representing both you and the bank he will give you a break.  So if two seperate attorneys would each charge $400.  He may do it for $600.  Ultimately you will have to discuss it with him. 

Profile picture for Chris A. Lewis
If you are not sure I recommend contacting the attorney.  If you are uncomfortable with it being the same person request another attorney to either represent you or the bank.

The attorney has to review the closing documents and usually there is only one fee; however, in some states attorneys close loans whereas in some states title companies close loans. Maybe he's charging you a doc review fee and closing fee.