Profile picture for jihaes

What's more realistic?

I am 29 and I have never lived in a house longer than 3 years.. I have purchased 2 homes in the past 5 years in Utah and now that I have a family of my own, I want to buy a larger/dream home in Utah where I want to live for a long time... possibly till when kids are grown up... but is that realistic? Should I go for a decent yet larger home that is in the lower range and sell it in 5-10 years and then get a nicer dream home after? 
I could wait 3-4 years to save up 20% down for a  dream house or buy now a smaller place to raise little ones and then sell and buy a dream house in 5-10 years... which one's a better/wiser choice?

March 14 2012 - South Jordan

you can buy the smaller place now, wait 5-10 years until the house is fully paid and rent it out, when choosing to buy the bigger house. better way to build wealth for the long term.

Profile picture for jrtpapa
Rent now, save the money up, and save the overall 10% in transaction fees (4% of house value when you buy, and 6% when you sell). The tax writeoff for mortgage interest only applies if you itemize your deductions. Furthermore most prognosticators expect house prices to continue their downward trend in 2012. Go the the new york times rent vs buy calculator and enter in all your information. That gives you a sense for the relative costs.

Buy now, take advantage of the mtg write off, put your kids in a home and if you decide to move up in a 10 years, you will already be in the market with a home that is already appreciating. Its an amazing time to buy with mtg fees where they are. When you buy this next home, try to make sure you can 'add on' to it, that way you may not have to move. Hope this helps.