What's the best way to reward/recognize realtors who given me business?(wo/ compromising ethics)

Realtors are very valuable to me as they present me with 2 opportunities: 1) helping stage/prep a home listing and 2) when a new buyer is moving in.  I've gotten some business from some realtors and want to keep the relationship going.  What is the best way to do this?  And, how do I do this without compromising ethics?  I've heard financial rewards are often shunned upon.  What is the right thing to do - esp if I'm trying to start a relationship w/ new realtors?

August 14 2009 - New York

This is difficult.  I had to work hard on the wording to keep this from sounding like another advertisement for staging.   

The best way you can reward your realtors, and your sellers, and the best way to market yourself, is to be the best possible stager.  Then, be readily available.  Strive for just shy of underfoot.

Join the local board of realtors and attend every professional meeting and social gathering.  Don't go to advertise - be a friendly face that offers good advice and fast, honest answers.  Do your homework, be prepared for questions about costs and odor removal.  Be prepared to offer referrals to home inspectors, painters, photographers, etc who you know and trust. 

Ask them questions, learn about what they face in their work.  Devise solutions to offer as part of what you do.  (Around here, renting furniture is prohibitively expensive.  So, I modified my business plan and am concentrating on building my rental inventory.  This will really reduce the cost of staging vacant properties.)

Seek out special activities your local RE companies hold, like a vendor's fair for charity.  Rent and stage a booth.  Again, elicit and answer questions and offer advice.

Rent a conference room at the local library (they are usually inexpensive) and put on a free presentation about staging.  Advertise it to every RE company and to sellers.  Provide coffee and cookies and lots of good, friendly advice.

Drop by each office with a box of candy (with your company name on it) on a regular basis (monthly, quarterly) - just to say hello and to be available if anyone has questions or a listing they are concerned about and would like to discuss.

I call staging 'presentation marketing' - when you have a job, give your clients, both realtors and sellers, results.  Ensure the property is easy to advertise and really does appeal to most of the buyers who look at it.  Reduce their stress - be the voice that firmly but kindly points out flaws (like odors and unsafe walkways) and provides solutions.  Be supportive and respectful of the seller's budget.  Leave your sellers feeling every penny they spent on staging was worth ten pennies, that when the realtor told them they needed a stager the realtor was absolutely correct, you really did add value. 

Be a non-intrusive, friendly, helpful presence - there when needed but not irritating.  Consistently give the results staging should give (improved presentation, reduced stress, fast sale, really good selling price) and many realtors will encourage their sellers to call you, and will recommend you to other realtors.

I have no statistical proof of this, but I am convinced chocolate chip cookies do add value.