What's the next up and coming neighborhood in Austin, TX?

• March 31 2011 - Austin

Great question Will!

I think it all depends on how risk averse you are. I really love South Austin, South of Slaughter on Machaca. The road construction is going to make that area much more accessible and home values will definitely go up.

If you want to take a much bigger risk, my money is still on East Austin. The farther East, the more risk.

I'd love to see what areas you really like!

Patrick 

Will,

I would agree with Patrick on South Austin and parts of East Austin. I would look into areas along the rail line in East Austin.

If you're interested in North Austin, I think Milwood is "Up and Coming". When this neighborhood was first developed, it was on the outskirts of Austin. Now, it is surrounded by everything. Most of the homes were built in the eighties. Over the last few years, Ive been seeing a lot of remodeling going on in this neighborhood and steady appreciation. It's a good location with easy access to Parmer, Mopac, 183. The Domain has brought an upscale feel to the area.

Profile picture for The Hachtel Team

The 2 area I really like are the Delwood neighborhood of East Austin (North of the Mueller development and Quail Creek in North Central Austin.  Delwood has seen some "flips" on some properties already.  There are some great mid-century modern homes.  I think Quail Creek is perhaps one of the most undervalued areas in all of Austin.  Close to the Domain, access to rail at the Kramer station and situated close to IH-35 and Mopac, it's an easy commuting area.  And the lot sizes are great with some houses that might need some TLC, but extremely affordable.  There are some not so great areas still (it is close to Rundberg and North Lamar). But as more people move in, it's one of the true affordable spots close to downtown.

There are several booming neighborhoods in Austin right now, but one that used to be elite, then got old, and now is in everyone's sights again is Allandale in North Central Austin. For those who have Tarrytown tastes but a suburban budget, Allandale is a great established neighborhood in close proximity to downtown Austin. Home prices average in the low $300,000's and a lot of them have been remodeled to live up to their price tags. Homes are really selling in this area this year!