What's your experience with laser measuring tool ?

My window covering installer uses lazer to measure windows. I've been thinking about getting one for myself. Pros & Cons ? What's the price range?
  • July 20 2009 - San Ramon
  • 0

We use a Disto laser for our floor coverings business.  I love it.  It's fast and accurate.  It's impressive to customers because it shows we are on the cutting edge and we avoid the perception that noisy tape measure may scratch their floors.  It's also a great conversation piece.  Sometimes I have the little kids help me measure and they really like it; likewise, the cats have fun with it.

It's fast and accurate. It's great for long distances where a tape measure just can't compete.  It's only down side is for small distances where a tape measure might be better or for curves.

Floor Coverings International We use a measuring device called a Disto. This is a much more professional way to measure than the old tape measure. Much quicker and more accurate. I would recommend this type of a tool to anyone who has to measure things quite often!  The con to this is that it is extremely expensive. I believe they run between $200 and $500.

[content removed by moderator for being self promotional]

We use the Disto laser in our floor covering business. Very accurate. Lasers are most valuable measuring long distances or hard to reach areas. I still prefer a tape for small jobs.

Profile picture for real estate mike
Also even the good ones give false readings sometimes, so you need to have some estimate of what your looking at. Or do like I did when I first got this tool and take two or three readings to make sure. At first I also checked with tape measure to verify. best of luck.

99% of them are inaccurate, however get the FLUKE.  Its very accurate, and less then $100.  Measured all my windows shades, and everything in my new house with it.    Did a lot of research before I picked that one.