Profile picture for scotty9908

What Can I expect my USDA home loan rate to be locked in at.

I am currently in the process of having the USDA review my application.  It is quoted at 4.5% which seems high to me.  If I have a FICO of 650 and the loan amount is 96,000 what should my interest rate be?
  • March 18 2014 - Tell City
  • 0

I am in Pendleton, Indiana most of us can do better than that. Contact me if you would like another opinion. USDA loans take a little longer to close but we can do it in about 3 weeks. 

It depends on if you have applied with a Mortgage Broker or Mortgage Banker/Direct Lender. As USDA Direct Lender my rates are at least .250% or .375% less than what you have listed depending on certain risk based adjusters. There are other factors that could make your rate of 4.5% decent l i.e.

1.) Credit Scores
2.) City, County, and State. Depending on the area, your rate could be affected.
3.) Type of property i.e. Condo, SFR, Manufactured Home etc.
4.) Loan Amount

Yes, 4.5% seems a little high compared to where we are at unless as somebody else mentioned the lender is giving you some lender credits toward your closing costs

4.5% is a little high for a USDA home loan.  You may not come in with any money, are there any lender credits that your loan officer is providing? 

Profile picture for scotty9908
0 points are on the loan I believe.  I didn't pay anything down and the PMI is included along with everything else.  And I do not plan to stay there for more than 6 years.  I just want to know what a fair interest rate would be if I have a FICO of 650 and the loan amount is 96,000 with zero down and PMI and closing costs included.

A point is 1% of the loan amount so if your loan is $200,000 "one point" would be $2,000. Bankrate has a handy guide to commonly used mortgage terms. The lenders on Zillow are great so I'm sure you'll get other answers soon.

Profile picture for scotty9908
What exactly are you referring to. I'm not sure what a point is on a loan sorry first timer here.

How many points are on the loan. Adding more points "buys down" a rate with about 4 points reducing the rate by 1/2%. Always try to get quotes with the same amount of points to compare apples to apples.