Profile picture for Steve2013

What about new construction listed with an agency?

We're first time homebuyers and have done a lot of research (at least we think we have). We've read over and over again that purchasing from the builder's (agent / representative) is generally a "bad" idea and that you should have your own agent. What we haven't found any information about is what to do when the builder lists with an agency. We haven't decided if we are going with new construction or a resale property yet. We also have not decided on a realtor. Some of the realtors we are considering have new construction listed on their sites; new construction that we may be interested in. So...if we choose a realtor that we want to work with (and can tolerate me), what do we do if they happen to list a new property that we are interested in? Does dual agency, as it applies to resale properties, apply to new construction? Would it be a good idea to write into the buyer contract that the realtor needs to release me in the event a dual agency situation arises and, once again, does that apply equally to new construction and resale properties? Thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to offer. Steve

April 08 2013 - Dover

Hi Steve,

Builders today are working on very thin profit margains and usually try to make the profit up with upgrades. Some of the builders upgrades are bargains and some quite frankly are ripoffs. As a custom home builder of 15 years I still am amazed at some of the upgrade pricing that some builders charge both in the fact that some are giveaways and others are best skipped. A buyers agent who knows the difference can save you thousands. [Contact information removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for more information.]

Hi Steve,

While dual agency is allowed in Delaware, its always good to have someone looking out for your best interest alone. My job as a Realtor is simple. If I am helping you find a house to buy, it is to get you a house you love at the lowest possible price. If I am helping you sell a house, it is to get you the highest possible price, in the shortest amount of time. Obviously you can see that working for both the buyer an seller can create a conflict. If you have not yet spoke to a realtor about purchasing a house, please feel free to reach out to me and we can go over some options. The information is always free!
[Contact information removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy for more information.]

It is always good to have your own agent. Here in Arizona, we can do dual agency as long as we disclose it, but even though I would like to represent both parties and double the commisions, it is hard to represent two clients and really do them justice. I know that  representing the buyer or seller (not both), I am doing my client a better service, which I perfer.

Steve,

Great questions! Always use your own agent to represent you as a Buyers Agent. All agents can show any home on the market even one that is listed with a builder, for sale by owner or another agency. Wisconsin contracts have a clause for dual agency so its not necessary that you put that in the contract as long as you initial the proper lines, however if this is not covered in your state then definitely add that to the contract.

Best wishes for a smooth purchase.