What age when you bought your first house?

Consumers, Pros, Consumer Adovcates, and really anyone reading this -Feel free to answer - how old were you when you bought your first house?  Any comments on that decision.....how many houses have you owned??

We had a great discussion around the office today on this topic.  It would be interesting to see the responses, hopefully many will respond even if only to type an age.
Thanks in advance for comments!!!  (question is for anyone anywhere.)

October 04 2012 - Mustang

right, that's why it is interesting to see the spread....to get a collection of ages.  to see how those who respond match up with the ages that you interact with regularly as you do business, to see comments on if they felt it was late, or soon or just right. etc.

Ex. Hpvanc didn't buy until 40 and doesn't feel those years of renting were a mistake due to his specific circumstances, where I bought at 28 and didn't feel it was too much burden for that age.   I have had first time buyers that were 18 and that were 60.  In fact, as agents we sometimes assume that the older person has "been down this road before" and aren't as nervous or excited or that they have a better understanding than they really do have- so it's a good reminder that not everyone bought their first house around the same age.

so...since you answered....what age were you when you bought your first house if you don't mind answering?  

Age doesn't matter a lot if the buyers are responsible for home ownership. Usually if a buyer can qualify for a mortgage they are old enough and probably responsible as well. Loans are a bit trickier to get right now so it takes responsible people to obtain a good loan.

just giving it a bump.  Maybe get some more answers today. 
interesting spread of ages!

Profile picture for hpvanc
40 with no regrets about spending money on rent all those years.  I needed that flexibility for many reasons, both personal and professional. 

Now looking to purchase a couple of rental units at age 43.

I was 27 years old when I purchased my first property. I had been working in real estate for about 3 years and had helped over 30 first time home buyers purchase properties at this point. I knew the buying process well but I didn't know what it felt to be an actual buyer. It was alittle nerve wrecking to make such a big investment but it was a great feeling to become a homeowner!

25 when I bought my first house. Still living there 6 years later. Hoping to buy again within the next 3-5 years.

First home when was 28.  Currently, in my second home.   Not much of a mover.

30 years old. Good decision so far, but lets wait until I actually sell the houses. I've always been able to make 5-10% off the income and the mortgages have been paid down by the renters. If your look for your first home here are some good websites for first time homebuyers.[deleted by Zillow moderator] n Springfield, VA and [deleted by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy] in San Antonio, TX.

wow...
I often wonder if Realtors move more than other people.
I think maybe we do but then I also know realtors who have lived in the same house for 30+ years so maybe not.

Maybe more people will respond.  It's interesting to see the responses.

18 when I bought the first one. We have owned 5 since and we are now 31. Plan to buy another one (or two...possible 3 :) ) in the next year.  I would say we have rented 8 or 9.

I was 28 and am on 3rd house
WOW...that was a lot of moving in one year
(since I am only 29 and all)   

I couldn't count the rentals (as residences- not what you meant I realize now).  I moved around in College alot, even just rented a bedroom in a big house for a few months while I looked for apartments.   so...to keep it simple.  purchases, and purchase to live in, not purchases for rental properties.

35

4 personal residences.   More if one considers rentals.