Profile picture for homebuyer12345

What are immediate, effective ways of securing my home?

I'm about to purchase a vacant home that has been vandalized recently.  It has sat vacant for over 6 months with no window coverings and in a semi-secluded area (but within a not-so-great part of town).  I will not be living there full-time for at least 2 months after purchase.  What should I do to immediately protect the home from future break ins?  I've considered signing up with ADT but they seem rather expensive...
  • April 08 2010 - Kansas City
  • 0

I live in KC, I have been using [link removed by moderator] for years, they have merged with [link removed by moderator] recently. The service is good, the price is MUCH less than the other guys.

I have them at my home, my [link removed by moderator] and my daughters house.

Another great source that can be stand alone or coupled with a security system is [link removed by moderator] . Believe me, this thing goes off and no one has any interest in stealing anything.

Profile picture for MariaMorton
There is another alarm service that puts a foghorn in your yard - makes an unbearable noise if someone breaks in. Also consider installing the long strike plates (w/4" screws) and new locks and doorknobs. Get some window treatments from Big Lots or a garage sale and put them up. Put the lights on timers to give the illusion someone may be home. Keep the lawn mowed. Drive by as often as you can. Drop in at different times. Have friends drop by too. Put up a fence. If it's habitable, try getting a friend to stay there until you can. If it's not, be sure not to leave anything valuable (like tools) inside even after you install the alarm and other measures.

They are expensive, but could be well worth your investment.  My home was broken into a few months back, I got the system and the signs and no fears now!