What are my rights? What can I do?

What are my rights? What can I do?
My girlfriend and I decided to buy a house back in 2008. We couldn't qualify because our credit, so her dad was willing to qualify on our behalf. He gets approved and never presents the paper work to me. It's been five years and we have been paying our mortgage to an account he had set up for us. To this date we haven't miss a payment and I have been fixing the house all around. Now my girlfriend decided to leave me for good. She says that I am not what she wants so her father presents me a 60 days eviction notice. W.T.F? I thought i was buying my house. I thought we were paying for our house. Well it turns out that he is the only one the loan, deed, and all of the paper work. So he is claiming to be the owner of the house, but my ex and I have been making the payments. What can i do? Please help. Thanks.

September 10 2013 - North Hills

You never saw the paper work
You never signed anything
You never had your finances evaluated  for the loan.
How much did you put down as a down payment?
It sounds like you were a renter of your girl friend's father's property on a month by month basis.    He is allowed to give 60 days notice.

Time to move on.

I suggest you look for a Real Estate Attorney to see if you have any rights at all.

I echo what the others have said.  Another angle to look at though.  Your ex's dad had to put at least 20% down and has probably lost all of that and then some given the falling values over the last 5 years.  In a way you have gotten kind of a "Get out of Jail Free" card and can get out of the house.

Oh wow,
This is not good for you at all He is on the deed, and he is the owner of the house legally. He can say the "payments" are rent, if there is nothing in documented that says otherwise.
Do you have emails, letters or anything written that states you are leasing to own?
I don't know what you can do and none of us are lawyers...and you need one!

With nothing is writing, you have an uphill fight that you will may lose the first time you go to court. I would pay for a 30 minute consult with an attorney ASAP and plan on going to housing court to fight the eviction as well.

You need to get legal guidance and also try to get anything you can in writing from your girlfriend or her father in the way of texts, emails or voice mail messages. You need to contact them by email include the details of your original deal and say you don't understand the eviction or why they don't want to do the rent to own sale anymore.

Keep it simple, informal and just pretend that you are just the helpless dumb bunny that needs them to explain what is going on. Don't mention any legal avenue and stay neutral or down in tone overall. Works to get the other person feeling that they are in the strong position in your email so they may make a mistake and mention that there was an agreement of some kind that they now don't want to follow through on. In the meantime, get legal advice.

Hmmm...sounds like you're a "renter".

You mention that you never saw any paperwork, so that implies that your ex-girlfriend's father did the actual purchasing. That was an intelligent move on his part, as it was his credit being put on the line. Given that only her father's name is on the loan/deed/etc., it sounds like your ex-girlfriend's father bought a house, while you and she simply "played house".

You mention making payments, but nothing about any participation in the actual purchase...other than moving in. Did you provide any funds for the actual purchase? Money towards a down? Money towards closing? Money that you can demonstrate came from you.

I am not an attorney, but, absent any paperwork to demonstrate intent to purchase on your part, it sounds like the 60-day notice may be the extent of "your rights".

the below comment is correct. Call a real estate attorney for advise. There may be a way to show you were making the payments if you were paying with a check in your name. if you were payign cash or a joint account with your ex, you may be up a creek without a paddle. as far as ownership, the father has all rights to the property since he is on the note and the title.

Sounds like you made a very strange choice and now you have no rights to the house at all. You could have added your name on the deed from day 1 but you chose not to go talk to a lawyer to get advice and now it is going to bite you. If you were on the deed you would have some ownership in the house. Being on the mortgage does not show ownership only a debt that must be paid.  Learn and move on.