Profile picture for Julie Wyss

What are some key things a buyer should do to ensure a smooth home buying experience?

1. Check your credit
2. Get preapproved
3. Get a buyer's agent
4. Research neighborhoods in advance
  • March 12 2014 - Campbell
  • 0

If you can do as good a job on your own, Jersey, then by all means, go ahead. Most successful people hire experts and delegate, but if you want to go DIY, then we're 100% behind you!

Profile picture for ridgewoodNJ
What's the value buyers agent add to the process if one can find the house themselves on mls web sites / zillow and trulia? In my experience and working with buyers agents, I have found the house on MLS site everytime, BEFORE the buyers agent notified me. They never gave me correct advice on what price I should be offering (they always want me to offer more, to ensure the deal goes through), they always try to create a sense of urgency / multiple offer drama to ensure that the deal is "closed". I have not found any buyers agent so far, who really 'works for the buyer - to get them the house at the right price - they show you houses, read your expressions - and when they see that you like a house, they just want you to buy it / close the deal, even if it's economically not sound for you'.

Profile picture for aracz
Hi Julie,

A few additions:
1) Decide on your must have criteria and share with buyers agent
2) If there are any changes in criteria, let agent know right away

Kind regards,

Arpad