What are some other agent's thoughts on competing for neighborhoods?

The fact that we are all competing, at all times whether we realize it or not, is something that I haven't found much literature on throughout the internet. 

Which brings me to my question and what everyone thinks about competing in neighborhoods?  Competing in geographical areas, towns, or even counties can be very broad and even having a small percentage of the market share can be more than enough.  In neighborhoods however(depending on size of course), it seems that one or two agents can really corner the market and make it difficult for other's to ever break that bond in hopes of getting listings.

So back to the question, what type of strategies have agents found to be most successful when farming an area that has a couple of reputable and established agents already there?
  • June 25 - US
  • 0