What are the Legal parameters of a Bedroom and full bathroom in the state of Maryland?

I know that the state of New York demands that a Legal "bedroom" is that it contains a closet and window, but I am looking at putting in an offer on a home that has the full attic being considered in the living space and as a bedroom and another 2nd bedroom that has technically 2 walls, and no closet, but you would have to walk through this bedroom in order to access the laundry room and bathroom.  Also the property is listed with 3 full bathrooms, but 1 is under the stairs and in a closet, with no shower, so as these truly effect the purchase price, I need to know that I can refer to Maryland Real Estate guidelines to justify my offer.  Please help.
  • October 17 2013 - Cambridge
  • 0

It is my understanding that a bedroom must have a "full egress" window, door and closet to be considered a true bedroom.  As for bathrooms, they should be listed in one of three ways either full ( sink, toilet, tub with shower, 3/4 bath as sink, toilet, and shower,  or 1/2 bath, as sink and toilet only. Many times you will see a 3/4 bath listed as full bath but tecnically it is 3/4.  

An appraiser certainly would be up on this for you, but also, your lender's underwriting team could also help you with input. Many lenders also have appraisal review teams that could also help.

You might also try the county real estate assessment office. I am pretty sure they have the final say since they are the taxing authority.

Best wishes, Jim

Profile picture for j3350489
You should contact a appraiser in your area .