What are the best family friendly neighborhoods in San Francisco?

I would love to hear more about the local neighborhoods in SF. I remember that both Richmond and more close in Sunset were good for families and that Noe Valley and Glen Park were also nice, but tended to be more expensive. I have recently been reading about Sunnyside that seems to be a neighborhood close to Glen Park, but do not remember it as a nicer area from years back. It has been long time since I saw some SF neighborhoods first hand so I was looking for helpful input.

My step is considering relocating to SF for job. They will need to stay in price range under about 650K or so based on what I'm hearing. Although I spent summers/vacations in SF as a kid, I am looking for inside information to pass on that only locals can provide. Anyone who can give me the inside skinny on preferred areas in SF, tips about local schools or pitfalls to watch out for will have my thanks and are guaranteed a grateful thumb :)

I would also love to be able to pass along the names of several excellent agents to them. So if you are an agent in SF proper or are buyer who used an agent that you really liked, please give a wave or give your agent a shout out for their good service. Thanks a bunch!
  • July 11 2011 - San Francisco
  • 0

Best Answer

Profile picture for minotau
You can forget about Noe, Glen Park, Inner Sunset/Richmond.  Think Outer Sunset/Richmond, or more probably the far southwest/central neighborhoods.

Unfortunately the budget just isn't going to work for the neighborhoods that you mentioned.  We've lived in Noe Valley (and South Beach), we were thinking about moving back up recently and spent a week up there house hunting - different budget and requirements, but we looked at some properties in Noe, Glen Park, Sunset and The Richmond (you're supposed to say "The" Richmond or people might think that you're talking about a city in the east bay).  They're all good neighborhoods, but it would be pretty tough to find anything in those areas, impossible in Noe but you might find something in outer Sunset/Richmond.  They might forget what the Sun looks like, but that might be the price they have to pay.

The market in SF is very competitive, anything priced "right" is gone very quickly, so it makes it particularly difficult if searching from a distance.

I really don't know Sunnyside, Ingleside, Miraloma, Excelsior, etc. well, but I think that there are some good neighborhoods out there. 

Hopefully public transportation isn't a big factor - there's a big premium placed on BART/MUNI access.

It's a great city, one of my favorites, it's worth making some sacrifices to live there, but it's very expensive.  Heck, we were (almost) ready to give up our SoCal weather to move back up there. 

We actually use Redfin, but they might not be the best choice for out-of-town buyers who aren't familiar with the city.

I hope they find something decent.

Thank you all so much for the information. Minotau your perspective was really helpful. Erika and Deborah, I will be sure to pass your names and profile pages to my step kin. You both sound like you have a lot of good information.

Honestly, I would love to have family in the City again just to have an excuse to visit more often. SF residents are great, the restaurants are top notch and it is by far the best place to sharpen my pressure parallel parking skills. ;)

Thanks again to everyone and I will let you how it goes when they are closer to making their decision on whether to take the job or not. I'll pulling for yes, but maybe that's my craving for great Italian and Dim Sum talking...

Hi Sunnyview!

Exciting to hear that your step is moving to San Francisco! Looks like you will get to start visiting the city again!

Many neighborhoods in the city are family friendly- Noe Valley, Forrest Knolls, the Marina, etc. so the real question is how big of a house they are hoping to get in their price point. 

I would be delighted to help out with their search, and could quickly pull together a packet with houses at the $650k price-point broken out by different neighborhoods so that they can see what they will get for their dollar in each area.

Please do stay in touch!

Best,
Erika  

In my professional opinion, you do not have to go as far West as the Outer Sunset or Outer Richmond to find a nice home in a "family" neighborhood.  In my experience, I suggest checking out Miraloma Park, Forest Knolls and Midtown Terrace as these areas all offer nice homes in a central location with good public schools nearby.  I have a nice 3 bedroom, 2 bath listing in Miraloma Park asking $649,000 which you may want to look at to compare. 

Some other postive aspects of these areas include the ability to have both a front and back yard, fully detached homes and within a five minute drive to the shops and restaurants of the Inner Sunset (Forest Knolls) and Noe Valley or Glen Park (Miraloma Park & Midtown Terrace). 
If you happen to work south or east of the City, the freeway access to 101 and 280 are terrific especially in the Miraloma Park area.

Lastly, the weather trade offs in the City are well worth it especially since you can get a single family home for the price of a one or two bedroom condo in a a "hipper" or sunnier part of the City.