Profile picture for NiraliShah

What are the pros and cons of NY vs. NJ states

I am looking to buy a home and my husband and I work in midtown NY. We were wondering what are the pros and cons of buying a home in upstate NY vs. NJ? We want the commute time to work be no more than 1 hour and looking for a home in a family friendly neighborhood between $450-$500k

October 11 2013 - US

I used to live in both states. Closing costs in NY will probably be higher ... but property taxes in NJ will probably be higher. It really depends on where you end up.  In NY in your price range, I'd suggest Rockland County.  Less than an hour commute, bus or train. Just watch the schools. Some are really good, some not so much.  I don't have the same opposition to Long lsland as another commenter - schools are good, you're close to the beach, close to the city. Biggest drawbacks are property taxes and TRAFFIC!

In your price range, you may be just outside the 1 hour mark to get a good area of NJ.  Bergen County is a great family area with great schools (and less than 1 hour) but I'm not sure how much you'll find in that price range. Go up north a little more and you can find plenty in Passaic and Sussex.

My guess is Morris County will be too high but that's a great area.

Boy that is a tough one.  From a financial perspective the closing costs in NJ are cheaper. In your case probably by about $3-4,000 depending on your loan amount. I would say property taxes can vary just the same in both areas though on the outer reaches of that hour radius they may be a little cheaper in NJ. Depending on how much you like the beach, I would say that may tip the scales to NJ. From my experience living in and around NY and working with clients in NJ a lot of the towns and neighborhoods are comparable. I would just avoid Long Island. Very expensive and you can never get off that island. The best thing is that either way you are only an hour from NYC!!