Profile picture for Villa de Los Gatos

What are the reasons to use a professional to find a renter for my 4,300 sq ft house?

Verses doing it on my own.  
And what kind of professional handles rentals?
What fees do they charge?
Thanks for your advice.
  • April 16 2014 - Los Gatos
  • 0

Profile picture for George Rauh
A major reason for a professional to fill your unit. Like self, who does rentals all the time, know all of the slick lines or triggers that would make us want to check a client deeper. In New Hampshire there is something called the Landlord Connection and their soul purpose in life is to help landlords allows us to find the good from the bad clients.

People who are renting are usually don't have good credit. I don't care about the credit. I cae about are they paying their landlord?  Your care is about any evictions in the past 5 years. Did they tenants leave the last place a burnt out crater like an 80s long hair band party there? There is always execptions, if the tenant was a home owner and lost their house in the recession, they are more likely to take good care of your place. Divorce, loss of job, sickness are discussions one on one to have.

What kind of professional handles rentals? Most property management companies, and many real-estate companies. Shop around, look at what they cover. A good real-estate company is going to help find someone who is transferring from anther part of the country to your area and wants to rent before they buy.

There isn't one if you are knowledgeable in such matters, and if you are available for most of the day.  It is a time consuming operation to take calls from prospective tenants, and then to screen them (going through financial documents, running credit reports, etc).  If you have a job that allows for an unlimited amount of personal calls you should be fine doing this on your own.  If you are able to create your own ads and put them wherever you can, people will surely come.  A visible sign from the street will also get you a lot of activity. 

Fees vary by each professional, and are negotiable.  

I can help you with this Rental if you like, just message me if you are interested.  I am pretty strict with my criteria, and am a fellow landlord myself.

Best wishes

Perhaps a more important question you should ask yourself is whether or not you wish to be a landlord. 

Do you mind advertising, screening, showing tenants?  Do you know how to learn how to do this?

Are you ready to be on call 24 h/day?

Do you have the skills to repair emergency issues and if not, the connections with plumbers, electricians, roofers etc who can repair them for you at a reasonable cost but be prompt.