Profile picture for onmyown5020

What are the steps to sell my own home? I have no luck with realtors?

I need step by step simple advice on how to sell my home without uneccessary spending on my part. I have a lawyer, I know how to do a search and survey, I can take care of paperwork, what more is there?  Thanks
  • June 29 2010 - Grand Island
  • 0

The realtor insulted you by saying that your house was worth less than you owe? That's not an insult, that may be an honest agent that you turned away. Your area here is still losing value. what you need is an honest agent to give you a CMA so you can see what houses like yours are selling for. That agent could have lied to you and set a high price just to get or keep the listing. Doing that would not have sold the house and led only to price reductions and a stale listing after months of showings with no buyer at the table.

I think you need to call 2-3 more agents before you decide to sell FSBO. Get CMA's from ALL of them with current listings and comps sold recently along with the sales trend in your area. If you go it alone, that's fine, but you need an honest assessment of your situation first. Don't shoot the messenger and get the information before you kick that first agent to the curb. You may be punishing them for telling you the truth. Although it may have hit you wrong, honesty can be hard to find in an agent looking for listings. Get the facts, then decide.

Profile picture for onmyown5020
I have lowered my price because of the economy. My realtor insulted me by offering less than I owe on my house. I am in a desireable area. I'm also considering a lease-option to someone.

Dear all alone 5020, As an Real Estate Professional, price range of the most active markets, are much lower in this current ecomony of mostly investors.  Consider the risk of opening up your family and home to the public, without a pre- screening process as required when buyers are using an agent.  Additionally, the buyer and the seller could be unprotected of required disclosures. 
Key Point... the buyer is likely to expect the seller to REDUCE his sales price accordingly as to the reduced seller fees and costs to sell.  My advise is use a Cooperative Marketing Agent in your area and follow their staging advice. If you have done this, it's possible you need to reduce your price, and/or improve your home for a more marketable conditon.  The main facts remain the same: condition, location and price.  Good luck with your move!

I wish I knew more about why you didn't have any luck with the agents you used.  In this economy, some folks are finding it difficult to sell. Although I'm in Massachusetts, out of state friends and relatives have used me to find the best qualified Realtor in a wide range of geographic locations. A full-time professional Realtor actually does quite a bit of work to get your home sold. They need to research the market, offer a qualified opinion of the fair market value of your home, place the home in the Multiple Listing Service, write advertising and marketing materials, urge their associates to call customers who have expressed an interest in your price range and neighborhood. They schedule showings and open houses. And once they are lucky enough to get an offer on your home, the real work begins from negotiation of price and terms to following up with lenders, scheduling inspections, drawing up the paperwork and more to ensure the closing happens on schedule.

A few questions to ask yourself: (1) did I follow my agent's advice and price my home at fair market value? (2) was I flexible with arranging appointments and open houses? (3) did I make unreasonable demands for terms? (4) did I actually hire a Realtor, a member of the National Association of Realtors, a professional who has sworn to uphold a Code of Ethics that is stronger, in many instances, than state laws? Only a small percentage of agents are, in fact, Realtors.

Here's to wishing you the best of luck selling your home.

Any Realtor would take your listing and give it their best shot, if they haven't sold it I would address the issue of why they didn't sell it. Especially if they had a good track record.  Whatever you do you will be replicating what they've done. Unless of course they just didn't do absolutely anything at all.  

It's going to cost you a little money, but you might try a classified on Ebay.  It will at least get you some traffic.  If you are going to do FSBO, you might want to send some letters out to some local Realtors letting them know you will give them a one day listing if they have a buyer.

You will have to spend money on advertising, open houses etc. Most homes listed for sale by owner end up being given to realtors. Use your time wisely and find yourself a realtor you like and can work with, its worth it.

Try this FSBO blog here. The blogger has lots of practical and helpful information that might help you get started in that direction.