What are you looking for from your Realtor when buying your next home?

I hear so many different things but Really what are you looking for?. Rebates? Great Deals? Knowledge?

March 31 2009 - Columbia

An agent should have their buyer's best interests in mind. Be well informed and professional.  Have a clear understanding of how to present offers in this market. This is a relationship building business...as well as referral based. 

Thanks Pej

It all comes down to trust:
I have always had success with my clients when I have stuck to and proven the following about my self as an agent:
1) Listen to your client and be prepared on your appointment!
2) Show a strong knowledge of the neighborhood pointing out what has sold and for how much.  I like to do comparables as we go from one house to another.  Sometimes I tend to overload my clients with info, but knowledge is power.
3) All these are just a way to win your clients trust, without their trust in you will never be able to help them place a good offer and buy a home.

I do want to also answer or justify DANNO1991:  Any agent that is uncomfortable with placing a low or ridiculous offer on behalf of his client should not be an agent.  This business is all about getting the lowest price, and no one ever knows what situation the seller is in and how desperate he is to sell not even the sellers broker.  I always approach this situation as "you will never know unless you ask", the worst thing that can happen is they don't counter offer and say give us a real offer.... and I know this has happened to me a bunch of times...lol

Profile picture for space_acer
"And how can a buyer trust you (not "you" in particular) as a buyer's agents when as a seller's agent you still list homes at 30% higher than the market will bear and allow them to languish on the market for 10 months?"

Not to mention if do put a bid, your often told there are multiple offers... and as they tell you "put in your highest bid"... and still the home remains on the markets for months on end. 

Yea!  "multiple offers, aka Phantom offers " ......  what a sweet scam they got running.  And people are screaming about Wall Street being crooked !

Profile picture for prfstrkr
nothing ... i am sick of buying used homes ... i'll be going to the builder ... don't want a buyer's agent ... end of the story

Thanks Danno1991. Overall Midland SC hasnt had that kind of problem "yet" and lets all hope it doesnt. We all want our best return on our home when selling it.
I lose listings weekly from telling the truth about my price opinion. And I know it hurts the customers feelings.
Want to sell quickly? List 10% below the lowest comparable in 6 months of sales. Thats the truth. Otherwise be ready for extended market time.
But with builder and homeowner distress there are some real cherrys out there for the picking. You just have to have a buyers agent to get to them quickly. Most Buyers dont hire a buyers agent and resolves to search the net and go on there own till they finally stumble across a home they like. Most, not all buyers do this.
The best deals I see are on the market from 2-8 days before escrow is opened. Without interviewing and hiring a BA you missed some great deals.
Ok Im getting off topic.Thank you for sharing and this is making great material for my blog on what you look for in a Realtor.

I wish more agents felt that way. When you find one that feels that way, it is really terrific.

I find most of my clients want a No-Bull Agent. One that's not just out for a commission. One that knows what they are doing. One that is honest, and is really concerned about taking care of the client. I tend to be very straightforward about a property. They are paying for my opinion, and if that means losing a sale, at least I can sleep at night.

Profile picture for danno1991
Well Laura,
   It's just a little disheartening being a potential, well-qualified buyer in this market. Most agents have been "spouting" off the NAR company line when common sense and sound economics tell a very very different story. And how can a buyer trust you (not "you" in particular) as a buyer's agents when as a seller's agent you still list homes at 30% higher than the market will bear and allow them to languish on the market for 10 months? Then look at buyers with a straight face and say "Come and get e'm while they're hot. These deals won't be here forever ya' know." It just hurts the credibility of your whole profession. At least you care enough to ask the question.  

Thanks for expounding. I am doing a blog on what clients really want from there agants and I am doing the Q&A for it. Do you mind if i Quote you Sunnyview?
I couldnt agree with you more!

I dream of agents that are smart and honest and plugged into markets that interest me. When I find them, I am truly grateful and do my best to use them and refer business to them. Unfortunately, many agents are not keepers. I love real estate and hope that my agent trusts me enough to make my own decisions. However, many agents tend to treat me with disrespect by talking down to me, feel they know my target markets better than I do (even when they do not) and they often insist on trying to lead me to the listings that they favor whether they fit my criteria or not. That is not my idea of a good agent. I have met many good agents and I am always happy to find them. I dream of a world where good agents out number the others. I think clients, good agents and the public at large would really benefit. I know I would be happy.

"Wow" Danno1991. You must have had some bad experiences.

Sunnyview. Im confused by the "dreaming is free"

Dreaming is free.

Profile picture for klarek the realist
" I want them to explain the market to me from a numbers perspective. "

There.   You're already asking for waaaaaaay too much, sunny.

It is legal for a Real estate agent or broker acting as your buyers agent to cut there fees to save there clients money. Fees are negotiable. Even Attorneys fees are negotiable as is you mortgage brokers fees.But you have to ask, nobodys going to tell you.
I often offer a buyers agent discount on fees.
Money is usually closest to everyones heart. If you can find trust, honesty,knowledge and save money isnt that the "total package"?

Profile picture for danno1991

Don't treat me like an idiot. "It's a great time to buy", Really? Prices have shot up 250% in my area in 5 years and it's a great time to buy? "You don't want to insult the seller when you make an offer". Really? If the first offer you put in for me doesn't insult the seller, you didn't do your job. After all, it's my best interest you're looking after right? Let his agent counter the insulted offer you put in. Isn't negotiations part of your expertise?
Honesty. "Mr. Smith, the market is horrible right now. Every seller in this market is asking 30% more than their home is worth. You know it, I know it, the seller knows it and so do their agents. But don't worry Mr. Smith. I'm a solid agent looking after your best interest and I have no shame in putting in offer after "low ball" offer until you and your family get the home your income should be able to buy and ensure your deal will cushion you and your family from every market downturn ensuring you peace of mind." That's my job and you can count on me."

Too much to ask?

What do mean you haven't heard money yet? My realtor doesn't pay me money. Maybe I just choose the wrong realtors. I'll certainly take money.

Profile picture for Lady Chattel

LOL Laura. 

That does't bother me as much as some of the other things.

Profile picture for jrea3000
Sorry. Just joined the thread.

Fees equal to actual value of services provided...

Interesting, I havent heard money yet?

Profile picture for Lady Chattel
Chris:   as an agent you are disqualified from this and your input is suspect, after all you don't need an agent, you can represent yourself.   Honestly, you are pathetic.

Someone who starts by developing an understanding of my needs and wishes.  Knowledge about the local market.  Experience.  A good reputation with other agents.  Resources for people who perform thorough property inspections.  Ability to provide comparable data that is comprehensive and understandable. Good references from recent clients.  Availability.  Integrity. 

Profile picture for angelomer683
Above all, I want a knowledgeable Realtor I can trust. A home purchase is a huge commitment of money and resources, and because I'm an utter novice, I want my Realtor to be 100% straight with me. If a house we see is crummy, tell me. Give me accurate and honest information about repairs a house will need, and how much they will cost. Do not sugarcoat in order to make the sale. It is disingenuous and will cost you my recommendation in the future.

Don't cajole me into buying a house or making an offer I'm not comfortable with. No one likes to be pressured. Present me with information and recommendations based on your knowledge of the industry, the market, and your experience (not from 2005, but in the economic downturn). I'm not interested in mandates or ultimatums.

Communicate with me. Realtors are busy people, I get that. But if you can't return my call or email for a few days, just let me know that things are hectic and acknowledge that you got my message. I won't be upset. Be able to effectively explain the things I probably won't know, and encourage me to ask questions, even if I worry that they're dumb. Answer the questions I don't know to ask.

Hope this helps!

Profile picture for Lady Chattel
Honestly, I don't think you mentioned that word honesty Sunny.

I want them to explain the market to me from a numbers perspective. I want honesty. I want to be treated like a client not a mark. I want expertise in cash flow, market appreciation and an understanding of local micro markets. Honesty. Did I already say I wanted honesty?

Profile picture for Lady Chattel
To not say it is an investment.