What are you thoughts on "home-staging"?

As a current 'homeowner' looking at the possibility of marketing your home for sale within the next year, what are your thoughts on home-staging prior to marketing? How much do you know about the home-staging process? And, do you think you would be more likely to work with an agent who offered this as part of their services, or not?

May 02 2011 - Minneapolis

Home staging works better for bigger livable square footage homes. It is also what kind of furniture, size and style is used for staging. I showed a staged home to a client and it looked horrible. They used big pieces of furniture making the living areas look a lot smaller. They also used the wrong colors and the style of the furntiture did not go with the home.. If you are going to stage a home, hire a professional company to do it. They have more ideas and more available props/furniture to choose from. 

Profile picture for droopyd
As a buyer, I'm leery of overly staged houses. It begs the question: What are they trying to hide?

Also, I'm likely to mock your twee decorating choices. But that's me.

Just clean it up and declutter it so that I can see the house for what it is.

I'm a Realtor  who also does staging for my clients. I think it's more affordable. If I get a listing there is no charge. If a home owner wishes to use my services after listing with another agent then there is a fee for services rendered. Your agent will give you good advice on staging your home it's up to you if you are open to suggestions or not.

Staging works, but you don't have to have an accreditation to do it.  Most staging is simple common sense and neutral colors.  No need to hire a "staging professional" in my opinion.

I am both a Realtor and an ASP (accredited staging professional) in New York and I can tell you staging works. It is best to stage the property before it goes on the market and the process depends on several factors such as condition, presentation (occupied or vacant), budget, timimg etc. Being both Realtor and Stager, it is my hope that clients see the added value in hiring someone who combines both services. Good luck.

Profile picture for Stage It Up
If the price of using a professional stager is the concern, several different pricing schemes with a variety of different levels of service should be provided, so that a price point that meets the allotted budget
 can be met.

Remember... that when it comes time to sell your home, first impressions do count. Showing a buyer what they want to see, is ultimately creating your own opportunity for success. Staging your home before it goes on the market creates the ultimate win-win situation for all involved.

Profile picture for New_Englander
I have no doubt that staging works.  Of course buyers will know that the furniture doesn't come with the house, and their own furniture is likely to not look as nice.  Nevertheless, it shows the house in the best possible light, really revealing its potential.

I don't think you have to have the realtor or another professional do it if you have a good sense of aesthetics.  I bought a book which looks extremely useful.  My approach will be to edit, edit, edit.  Put a lot of stuff in storage, buy some inexpensive but attractive accessories at somewhere like HomeGoods or TJ Maxx, maybe rent or even borrow a few key pieces if need be.

Regarding photos needing to be in tip top shape - my next-door neighbor has recently put her house on the market.  The photos are HORRIBLE.  I had never been in the house - I know she repainted just for the sake of selling the house - here is where expert advice would have helped.  The walls are bubblegum pink and the trim is all a darker pink (in a wooded New England setting.)  The beds are unmade in the photos, stuff is strewn on top of them, grocery bags and assorted junk is strewn on the kitchen counters, chairs are askew.  If I were a buyer, I would immediately pass on this house.  If the owner can't be bothered to make the beds and remove junk from counters, why would I imagine the house was otherwise well-maintained?  And, it just turns me off, even if all that junk isn't going to come with the house.

I will also never ever use the local realtor who allowed these photos to go up on the internet.

Home staging is worth it.  But don't forget that a photo is worth a thousand words.   We all know that most everyone shops on line these days.  So you have to make sure your photos are in tip top shape!  If you feel the pictures are not doing your home justice, have your realtor start over.  Re-stage it, whether you use your own furniture, borrow rent or stage it online.  A great online staging company is OBEO.com.  That way your home photos look great, making people want to look at your property.  If you have to move or remove some furniture so be it.  At least you got them to your property which is the first major hurdle. 

Staging Works!!!!!
I have listed homes which were expired listings (on the market for over a year) and hired a professional home stager and sold the home within 40-days of listing it.  I recommend a home stager for all homes vacant or occupied.  It works.  Another item of importance is the lead photo which goes on the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) as the lead photo is the photo which goes out to the world on the internet.  A well staged home with professional photography will go a long way in selling the home in a reasonable time and at a fair price.
Tim 

Staging is important in any market. It helps a homeowner get top-dollar for their home. It is beneficial to work with a staging professional to market your home optimally. An Accredited Staging Professional(ASP) will work with a seller and their budget to get the best possible result. Keep in mind staging is not about decorating, but rather decluttering and depersonalizing so that buyers can envision themselves in a home.

I had a client that was selling an empty home. I suggested staging it. She did not want to bother with it and did not believe in it. I showed her to new homes form the same builder side by side with the same layout. One was decorated and one was empty. She immediately stated she liked the staged one much more. When I explained to her they were the same house she had to go back in to prove it to herself. We staged her empty home and it sold in a few days after it sat for 2 months empty.

A buyer knows if they want the home within the first 8 seconds of walking through the front door. First impression is everything! If you use a stager who knows what they are doing, they will make the impact rooms pop! This will dramatically help your home sell!

A large part of the value you bring to your seller clients is the wide array of services you offer them to get their homes sold. Adding home staging is a given these days. I've had sellers contact me themselves, wondering why their agents didn't advise them of all their options!

Staging really does make a difference.  You don't have to go and rent furniture like they do in a lot of the shows on tv.  Simple de-cluttering, and removing a lot of personal items such as family photos.  Opt for neutral art, and only leaving the necessary pieces in each room.  Always make sure your counter tops are clean and don't stuff everything into closets.  Buyers like to check those,  renting a storage unit to store your extra things is essential.  Renting the kind that they deliver to your house will save tons of time and energy.  Buyers generally don't have that much imagination, so if all of your personal items are in front of them, they will have trouble seeing themselves in that space.

"People buy what they see" and if they don't like what they see, they don't buy!  It takes just a few seconds to form a first impression.  That initial contact with a home is of vital importance; it needs to look in tip-top shape.

Home Staging is a must in an empty or furnished property! Many buyers can not imagine what thier own furniture may look like or how to place it.For my listings I do stage all 1st level rooms if the home is vacant I even rent the larger furniture. Pictures on the walls,vases of flowers,soft music,and the table set for dinner! A fantstic idea for a quicker sale of your home.

Profile picture for P Banks
I think it can be beneficial. You can just do 2 or 3 rooms to save some money & use items you have in the home. Then it can be as cheap as a few hundred dollars. This can make a big difference on how fast it sells and make a few thousand dollars difference in the offer you get. Just concentrate on the rooms buyers will see first Living room, kitchen.

With so many homes on the market, professional staging definitely will help it stand apart from others in the neighborhood. Although most people think staging is only for high-end homes, most stagers offer a range of services to fit most any budget. Even having a stager help with the de-cluttering and furniture layout can make a dramatic difference. And, if you stage before listing, it makes the agent's job much easier since the home is show-ready and in move-in condition. Of course, the listing price has to be competitive to bring buyers in your door, but staging often gets your home on their short lists.

Staging in some areas can promt a sale, but it would be best to talk to a local agent to see if your home would benefit by it before you spend the money.

Tanya,
I have had some very good results with staging on my higher priced properties.  Some homes can sell better "empty" ;-) This is something that needs to be presented in the marketing conversations with the seller.  First, the home must be priced within market averages and fit the profile of properties seeing closings.  Good luck!
Shawn

it makes an incredible difference in the appearance of the home and it is of great benefit to you to have the services of a professional stager that you can offer to your clients.  I used to be a doubter, but I've seen amazing differences. 

I think staging will help a great deal when your home is on the market.  I always stage my listings and even though I am an Accredited Staging Professional (ASP), I always use another home stager who is also an ASP.  I mainly took the classes to understand what staging really is and the buyer psychology involved.  Wetdwwgs is right that staging is far different from decorating.

I  would choose an agent based on their marketing ability, negotiation ability and their ise of professional quality photography.  If the agent offers staging as part of the service and uses an accredited stager, that's a plus.  If not, choose the best agent and hire a stager before the agent photographs the home. 

Good luck with your sale.

Of course the first considerations are budget, both what you want and can afford to spend on staging and does the home warrant staging. Higher end homes most definately do...even mid level homes can benefit from basic staging techniques. Studies show homes staged will sell faster and for more.
I advise you to stage your home with the above considerations in mind.

We have looked at a number of staged homes on the market, and see that >90% of the stagers are not staging the home for sale but instead are decorating.   Great staging accents the features of the bones of the house, rather than trying to look fancy.

Our last selling agent also had certification in staging.  She added this service at no cost.   We moved before the house was on the market.