Profile picture for SoCal_Engr

What are your HOA's "stupidest" restrictions?

Over time, many folks have posted concerns/issues with HOA restrictions. Since HOAs are typically made up of the owners, and most restrictions are an attempt to protect "group rights" and values (i.e., your rights stop where my nose begins), what do you consider to be the most stupid/egregious restrictions?

August 17 2011 - Black Mountain Ranch

Shake roofs only - in a high fire area.   (Fortunately the city made this illegal)

No composting - despite city pushing it and offering financial awards for it. 

I sold a house not long ago to a family with 4 boys.  the HOA has a No baseketball goal restriction for driveways.   not even the portable one that can be put in the garage.  -they are looking at putting in a concrete pad and goal in back yard.  (we did discover this during the inspection period- they bought it anyway and decided they'd deal with it).  Not sure that this was "stupid"  but it was a bit odd.

Profile picture for hpvanc
Fining owners for brown spots in their lawns and not watering lawns the maximum amount allowed under mandatory water restrictions in a severe drought.  Same HOA's also fined owners for installing low water landscapes that did not include a high percentage of coverage of bluegrass sod.  They were serviced by a privately held water company, and the state had to step in to rectify the situation.

Dandelion in yard... one warning... 2nd-$50 3rd -$100
Oil Spot on drive way---see above....

I had no clue dandelions were worth so much!  At those prices, one should keep a few extra handy to increase the revenue for the association!

The stupidest restriction of ALL HOA's is being forced to belong to one.

Profile picture for SoCal_Engr
@ Dan...

No one is ever "forced" to belong to an HOA. Buying into an HOA is a choice - however sane/stupid the CC&Rs are.

I'm not too excited about my HOA fees, but the HOA itself seems to have settled down. When we first moved in (development was being built out), we had several owners that appeared to want to turn our community into a fortified enclave.

The stupidest part of the HOA was during the initial build-out, when the builder chaired the HOA. The Community Manager was a mini-tyrant on the landscaping (front required within 3 months of move-in, back within 9 months). Landscaping that had been approved for earlier owners was not approved for later owners - and the CM admitted that her decisions were inconsistent...but deal with it.

Now that we've been here about 7 years, everything's fairly well settled in. Those who wanted the HOA to be their personal thugs, and failed, have left. Everyone else has settled in and is getting along.

"No one is ever "forced" to belong to an HOA"

Just try to buy a house and say I want the house but will not accept the HOA that it comes with. Then tell me you are not forced to belong to one.

I have no choice but to have a HOA if I want to buy certain houses. It should be something every buyer can opt into or out of. Instead it is a forced membership and payment based on nothing more than where you choose to buy a house at. That is unfair.

I consider it no different than zoning restrictions and local city and county taxes.

The property belongs to the "area", not to the individual.  The individual will die and be there for only a very brief period, but the property remains in the area.

It is just one of those factors that one considers when making the decisions.

On the other hand, being a citizen or not in the location you are born, and being required to conform to those rule however obscure, may be a different issue, and could inherently be unfair.  Especially when the government requires you to murder other people against your moral judgment.

Agree w/"SoCal_Engr"; "No one is ever "forced" to belong to an HOA. Buying into an HOA is a choice - however sane/stupid the CC&Rs are."

Maybe not as "stupid" as some rules are, and I can totally see the argument on both sides, but a big challenge in many of the complexes in San Diego- Chula Vista to be specific- are the pet restrictions... trust me, I agree, I don't want to see animal hoarders in my complex either, nor do I want to see pet poop in every common area. But it is tough when buyers who love and need a condo, get turned away without exception because they have two pets, and the HOA policy is 1 pet only. A whole other discussion, I know :)

Profile picture for SoCal_Engr
"Just try to buy a house and say I want the house but will not accept the HOA that it comes with. Then tell me you are not forced to belong to one.

I have no choice but to have a HOA if I want to buy certain houses. It should be something every buyer can opt into or out of. Instead it is a forced membership and payment based on nothing more than where you choose to buy a house at. That is unfair."

Sorry dude, that dog don't hunt. No one says you have to buy that house. As you said - it's a "want". Depending on your viewpoint (and what value-add the HOA actually brings to the table), the HOA is either an amenity or atrocity. Buy the house, or not - your choice.

As for individuals opting in/out, who in their right mind would opt "in" if given the choice? In my area, HOAs bring common facilities and other services to the table. Those facilities/services don't get cheaper because people decide to "opt out".

So, as with many other things in life, it's a "package deal". Don't like the package? Don't buy. Even in SoCal, there are still many houses to be had that don't come with HOAs attached.

dumb/stupid rule in my complex?

"no hanging plants on the exterior of the unit"...............supposedly, one of them might fall,  and hit someone in the head! I never knew hanging plants could be so dangerous!

Profile picture for SoCal_Engr
"no hanging plants on the exterior of the unit"

If they're that close to the windows, maybe they deserve to get bonked? Only time I've been - I mean, "I've heard of" - people being that close to a window and in a position to have something bonk them on the head, well...

The value of HOAs in a community of detached SFRs...
Latest reply by user32566060
Illegal/unethical "Force insurance"?
Profile picture for Donald Stevens
Latest reply by Donald Stevens
May 28 2012 | 5 answers
  • Posted by SoCal_Engr
  • In Insurance
Cat-V or wireless?
Profile picture for gvw3
Latest reply by gvw3
Profile picture for SoCal_Engr
Latest reply by SoCal_Engr
Housing is TOO affordable...
Profile picture for SoCal_Engr
Latest reply by SoCal_Engr

1. 10533 Sanshey Ln UNIT 115, San Diego, CA Home For Sale
    10533 Sanshey Ln UNIT 115, San Diego, CA 92127

2. 10533 Sanshey Ln 115 # 115, San Diego, CA Home For Sale
    10533 Sanshey Ln 115 # 115, San Diego, CA 92127

3. 7392 Rancho Catalina Trl, San Diego, CA Home For Sale
    7392 Rancho Catalina Trl, San Diego, CA 92127

For Sale: $1,199,000