What are your real estate investment goals?

Are you buying and flipping, buying and holding, or both? Share your goals and insights here.
  • August 16 2011 - Modesto
  • 0

It completely depends on the type of property you are looking to buy. If your looking at the the worst home on the block its a sure way to get a bargain because a few cosmetic updates with up the value and you can resell within 90 days. 

If there are several homes for sale in a neighborhood, prices have dropped significantly and the area rental market is strong (ie. Silicon Valley) Its a GREAT idea to hold onto the home and rent it out. This is the first time in 20+ years you can actually have positive cash flow in an investment property.  

Profile picture for Golden Girl 542
Late entry:

Because savings & investing are so sketchy right now, why not put your savings into something local you can rent, get a little monthly income and have equity later in something to sell down the road.

Jason, years ago I served in Orange County. It was great weather except for the smog. I ruled out California as a whole state to move to based on 2 things.

1 the governments fiscal woes
2 the illegal alien issues which help contribute to #1.

I can not see moving into a state that is exceptionally close to insolvency and seeing all kinds of taxes and fees increase dramatically. Yes, prop 13 affects property tax but everything else could easily skyrocket to meet the governments wasteful spending habits.

As a place to live California has great weather. I fear what the state will do to everyone living there when it drains everyone's pockets to meet those budgets it refuses to shrink. It seems many wealthy people have already left.

If California had a good financial foundation for the government it could be a very attractive place away from the big cities.

Excellent responses.  Is anyone currently investing in California, more specifically, San Joaquin, Stanislaus and Merced Counties?

Profile picture for Dunes....
I want to Invest in a Lot of Houses to Rent plus do that Flipping Stuff with no Money & no Credit....then I'm gonna Buy the Playboy Mansion

It seems like it is best to practice both methods in this market. 

Great question Jason!

My goal is to replace my income with passive income from investment properties. I hope to achieve this within 3-5 years. 

I also am trying to help a handful of clients and friends do the same... When I can't buy a great deal, then I push it to someone who can.

Profile picture for jjottey
Ideally I would like to buy and hold for long term. I am new to real estate investing and I am looking to purchase my first rental property in the next 6 months. 

Not to pay more today than I could buy the same house for tomorrow.