What banks in Louisiana offer construction loans?

My husband and I will be building in Southeast Louisiana and are in desparate need of a construction loan.  We will be doing a "self-build" with a retired (meaning no longer licensed) builder acting as supervisor. We are using him because he is extended family and will be cheaper than any other contractor. He has built relationships with his subs for over 40 years when he was licensed to build.  We are hard pressed to find any bank that will allow this special situation. HELP!!
  • April 19 2012 - New Orleans
  • 0

You will need a licensed contractor.  What I would suggest is presenting the detailed scope of work to a licensed contractor and offer to complete some of the work...break out the scope of work so it shows what the contractor makes for what he does and what your friend does is another set of money.

No bank will consider unlicensed professionals, but they respect and honor a homeowner who understands what it takes, and has taking the time to break down who is doing what, showing the licensed professionals doing the big parts of the project such as electrical and plumbing.

Visit http://iansellsnola.com/property-management/thinking-about-developing-we-can-help/

and then call or email us if you need further help.

As strict as lending guidlines have gotten I don't know of any lenders that will finance a construction loan with an unlicensed builder.  The few that I would try would be First NBC, Gulf Coast and Iberia.  I really don't know that they will eatier though...  Good Luck!!

Good luck. I was going to recommend a bank...until I saw the part about using an unlicensed person as the GC.

Profile picture for acheramie
I am looking for the same.  I will keep checking to see if you sind something.  If I find something I will definately reply here for you.

No go on Iberia Bank.  They require a licensed and bonded contractor.

Profile picture for joetow
Don't know the guidelines but you can try Iberia Bank in LA.