What can I do about an a/c that went out on 2nd day of move in?

I just moved into what I thought was a nicely maintained townhome.  On the 2nd day aaround 12pm, the a/c went out.  I call the property mgr rep. and she made it sound like I had set the a/c too low and froze it, and told me to wait two hours and turn back on, which didn't work.  I call her back and tell her that if the a/c can't be on 72 degrees for 1/2 hour then something is wrong w/the a/c. She told me to call the contracted a/c company they work w/and they can't get out to check my a/c until between 12-4 the following day. I live in Tucson, AZ and it's 100 + degrees outside. Is there anything I can do? I just moved into this townhome yesterday!!!

July 10 2012 - US

You need to document the situation in writing and request the repair with a paper trail ASAP by email with a bcc back to yourself or by mail with proof of mailing. The landlord has an obligation to make timely repairs, but that means different things in different states.

Often if the landlord can show that the repairman was out within in a day or two as a show of good faith, they are covered except in special cases. Read the link that wetdawgs posted and see what the law in your state says.

The a/c was working all day yesterday and this morning but quit working this afternoon around noon.  It no longer works.  I don't know how old it is, but the the townhomes were built in 1980's and was advertised as "updated."  The a/c thermostat has a dial though, instead of the small retangular box tpe, or newer ones.

Does the A/C work at all, or is the issue that you can't maintain 72 F.  (72 F is actually quite a low setting for AC.)

Here's a link to the AZ landlord/tenant act.    the section on page 10 33-1324 talks about landlord maintaining fit premises, but doesn't mention timing of repair for items such as AC .  perhaps there is a phone number on the link provided.

How old is the unit?