Profile picture for kathii444

What can I do to get more (or better) quotes for my loan request ZR-ZPFBSRT

I have excellent credit and owe 35500 on my home..I want to either refi. or do a heloc on it but not sure which is better for me...I wanted to get a heloc and buy another property to rent out for long term investment but i don't understand the whole thing. Would i have to use the heloc money as soon as i get it or do i pay on it if i'm not using it???  and as far as just doing a refi...well i would only do that if i can just do it for the amount i owe which is 35500...my rate is 6%...What should i do???  I live in prov. r.i  what/where would i get the best rates???  My bank wanted to give me a 2.99 plus prime if i did a heloc but it ended up to be about a 4.25 loan..They did a drive-by an said my house was appraised at 165000 so 80% of that then - what i owe put me under the 100,000 mark so i couldn't get the better rate or something....Can you help me out here?????

October 02 2011 - Providence