What criteria do you use to select a buyers agent for properties in Southern Indiana?

You could read the profile, blogs, and recommendations.

January 10 2012 - Jeffersonville

I agree with most of the above answers: experience in the area, FULL-time, and personality. If you don't 'click' find another agent. Not all agents are high profile or use the latest gadgets but may be very knowledgeable none-the-less. Find someone who is willing to be available when it's convenient for you. sometimes the BEST agent in the area may not be a good choice for you either if they don't have time for you. If he/she doesn't answer in a timely manner... find another.

A certain personality type is required in my opinion.  First I use an assessment system called "disc" from AnthonyRobbins.com.  That tells me a great deal about the match for this position and if that Agent would quailfy.  From there 22 years of experience and some common sense!  We love our Buyers Agents!

I like all of the answers. Personality, enthusiasm, and knowledge of the area are critical to success. If you want to add one more piece of information to the equation, size, reputation, and recognition of the broker may also be important to you. I am proud to represent Semonin Realtors.

These first four answers are excellent.

In selecting an agent to work for you i beleive you need to like the agent as a person for who they are and their work history. Knowledge of a local area and property type you are interested in buying will give you an inside track to that market.

Ask family and friends that have worked with an agent recently to share their experiences. You can use their testimonials to help you find a good agent.

1)  Good listener and effective communicator
2)  Well trained - experience is nice, but no substitute for real knowledge.
3)  Effective Negotiator and Problem Solver
4)  Expert on the Hombuying process
5)  Candid - tell you what you need to hear, not just what you want to hear.

It would be hard to go wrong by hiring an agent with the aforementioned attributes,

The criteria for selecting a buyer agent - regardless of where - typically are the same. I would want a full time agent with at least 5 years experience in the area I'm buying. I'd want to know what their past clients said about them and their services/responsiveness. Check out agent websites, ask them why you should use them, see if you can talk to any of their past clients. There are a number of good, full-time, experienced agents in Southern Indiana so using the previously mentioned criteia you have a number of choices, myself included. Just let me know if I can help. Good luck.