What do buyers want most in a home?

• August 03 2011 - Durham
  • 0

Mostly a buyer wants a place that is going to make them feel secure and then the 'list' follows. On that list is also value for their dollar these days, they want to feel they didnt overpay, location, quality all come are all very important.

Whit, such wit.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Thank you for providing my first chuckle of the morning.  It may very well be the last so that chuckle is very important to me and has to last the day.

And I'm with all of those here who said value is top of the list these days.

An updated open floorplan home.

Hick-  Whoa there!  You're shaking the very foundation of the real estate (agents) world here.
Are you actually suggesting that location and condition has a greater impact on real estate value than agent mojo?
What you say?  Real estate has always been about three things -- mojo, mojo, mojo.
The more agent mojo the better.  And to suggest that any NAR statistic or prediction is wrong is just plain crazy man.  They've been all over this housing mess.  Why they've gotten everything right, right?  What could be wrong with constantly trumpeting that now is always the best time to buy?   We just need to continue selling over-priced product to consumers that can't afford it with government guaranteed loans.  And nothing adds more value to over-priced product than a good old affiliation with an over-priced real estate agent fictitiously hooked up with Sotheby's or some other ridiculous pseudo connection with false prestige.  Right?
Are you suggesting that I might be wrong?

Whit, "That is not the agent that creates value?  How can you say such a thing?"

The agent is simply an intermediary. Nothing less, nothing more. They add no value to the property. I can say that simply as it is the truth.

",According to the flawless and unimpeachable data from the NAR, sellers who work with real estate agents net 16% more than those who don't."

NAR has zero credibility and has been disproved many times. I reject anything they say and figure the opposite is true. WIth their track record it works out that way.

The FSBO netting less has been disproved. FSBO may sell a lower price house but that does not mean they get less for what they have for sale. It only means the price point of the sale is different frmo agent listed properties.

Show me that kind of statistic from any source except for NAR. They have zero credibility in my eyes. They lied to often and were always wrong. To see one example look at this LINKY from 2006. Prices stabilized then... remember? I did not see that stabilization (and looked for it) but it was a great time to buy according to NAR. According to real life buying in 2006 would have cost a great deal of money lost from then until now.

"And in fact one could only ass-u-me that the more a seller pays in commission, the more money they will make, right?"

That sounds like a good idea. If I pay 100% commission I will make more money than if I only offer 5% right? The logic fails here. So does the economics.

Hick-  What are you suggesting?
That is not the agent that creates value?  How can you say such a thing?
According to the flawless and unimpeachable data from the NAR, sellers who work with real estate agents net 16% more than those who don't.  Even after paying full priced commissions.  And in fact one could only ass-u-me that the more a seller pays in commission, the more money they will make, right?

Whit, "First and foremost, buyers place the greatest value on the agent that has the home listed."

I place no value at all based on who is selling something for someone else.

I place no value on a name brand brokerage.

I place no value on the specific person trying to sell a property for someone else.

"It is the agent and not the content or features of the home that creates a property's worth in the eyes of the buyer."

The agent adds no value to me as a buyer. The agent can only create an overpriced listing which removes that listing from my potential buy list.

"Real Estate agents have a strangle hold on the wishes and desires of their clients like a Jedi Master."

I believe you are ass-u-me-'ing that a buyer limits their house search based on what an agent decides to show them. Today the internet makes an agent produced search which leaves out many properties obsolete. I would rather ask an agent about a property they never told me about instead of asking them to search for me and not show me everything for sale.

No agent controls my wishes or desires. If they tried they would not be working for me.

"The price and condition of your home mean nothing.  Just get a good agent them as much as you afford or borrow.  It's all that matters."

You mean to say that if you get a good agent the fact that the house is ready to be condemned means nothing? The fact the house is being sold for 4 times its real value does not bother a buyer? I think you need to rethink your whole reply as it makes no real world sense.

First and foremost, buyers place the greatest value on the agent that has the home listed.
It is the agent and not the content or features of the home that creates a property's worth in the eyes of the buyer.
Real Estate agents have a strangle hold on the wishes and desires of their clients like a Jedi Master.
The price and condition of your home mean nothing.  Just get a good agent them as much as you afford or borrow.  It's all that matters.

No lead, no asbestos, no other problems. Then make it energy efficient.

For me add at least 20 acres with 40 being better and we might work out a deal if the price is 1997 based with the appropriate adjustment(around 35%) for wage growth since that time.

I work with a lot of buyers in and around Durham, Raleigh, Cary and Chapel Hill, this is what my buyers want, granite, wood floors, great master bedroom and bathroom and a fenced yard. I get asked for those particular items often. After they get those things, they look at the bones of the house, how old is the hvac, the roof and water heater. The exterior of the house, a lot of homes around here have hardboard masonite, what condition is it in? Get rid of the rotten boards. Neutralize your home, clean up the entrance, get yourself a great agent.
Thank you

Profile picture for Mevin Barnes
Of course it varies by person but most people I deal with certainly seem to have value as their top priority.

If it is on TV as "the thing", I don't want it.

A stable investment at a good price.

A million dollar mansion for $100,000. 

David Cooper

Buying a home is such an emotional experience.  In my experience, buyers want the instinctual feeling that they're "home".  Comfort and assurance in the choice they make is key.......who wants buyers remorse!

Profile picture for Michael Helton

According to HGTV everyone wants granite and stainless steel appliances.  And if HGTV says it, then it must be true!

Right now buyers seem to want move-in ready homes with little work.  It needs to be structurally sound.  New paint an carpet really help - especially in vacant homes. Tile instead of linoleum helps too. Must be clean and in a quiet location. New appliances and updated kitchens and bathrooms are a plus.

Profile picture for hpvanc
Good economic utility value for there personal needs.

Profile picture for SteadyState
A roof

There are really so many different answers to that question.  It really depends on the buyer... because every one is different.  But generally, I think they want an updated kitchen and bathroom, and they want at least two bathrooms.  That's what we're seeing in the market here in Jacksonville.

Profile picture for Dunes....
Plumbing