What do you do if you feel your sales agent is not performing or is performing below expectations?

My wife and I are selling our first property and have listed with a local (not a chain) real estate agency.  Since listing we have had one open house that was not advertised, and four home showings (none of which we done by our agent) in the last five months.  Our agent never contacted us.  Never updated us with any feedback from any of the showings.  When my wife or I contact our agent, he quickly torts that we need to lower the price and insists that he has advertised our listing, but is not willing to provide us with information on where, what or when he has done so.  The larger issue beyond our tremendous disappointment with the current performance is the fact that my wife and I will have to continue to endure this sub-performance for the remainder of our contract with this agency.   Insightful and helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated on how we can increase the chances of selling our home without going the easy route our current agent is insisting we must go.  Additional information: a CMA that I had done shows that we are priced appropriately.  Thanks in advance.
  • August 14 2013 - Ravenna
  • 0

Best Answer

I'm sorry you are in this frustrating situation.  What to do?  

As I don't know how you chose this agent, perhaps some background would be helpful.

Did the agent present a marketing plan when you interviewed the agent before selecting?   If so, is the agent following the plan?  If not, ...

Put on your buyer's hat and search the internet.   Can you find your home advertised anywhere?

Have you had the opportunity to discuss communication expectations with your agent?  

Note:  I don't expect a listing agent to bring buyers through for showings because that runs into the headaches of dual agency.

There are several things I would do in your shoes:

1.  Arrange an in person meeting to go over advertising, communication etc.   Go through your agent's CMA for your home and see how it compares with yours.  

2. If you get no satisfactory actions from #1, then talk with the agent's managing broker.  

You expressed concern about being stuck in the contract.  What is the duration of the contract?

Usually when a house has had about 1 showing per month in 5 months, the price is too high or the advertising isn't anywhere buyers will see it.

Hello Charles, I have to agree with most of what wetdawgs has stated in his reply. I would try to setup a time with your agent to go over some current market data. If he wants you to lower the price then he should be able to provide you with some info to justify his decision. Are you currently listed at a price that you came up with or was it recommended by your agent? If your agent does not make the time for you then you need to contact the broker in charge. If the broker in charge does not respond then you will want to put something in writing that you would like to be released from your contract. Best of luck.

Your agent should be contacting you a minimum of at least once a week --  after a weekend is always good to give you an update on how things are going.  You agent should be contacting the agent on every showing to get comments from that agent's buyers.  And then your agent should brief you on what is said.  These are minimum listing agent activities.

I will speak honestly with you. If you have only had a few showings on your property, that likely means that you are priced well out of range in your market.  In this market, there can not be another reason unless your property is not being advertised in the local MLS where every agent in the area can see that your property is for sale.

If you really feel like you cannot work with your agent, send a certified letter noting his shortcomings and give him or her a couple of weeks to improve. If your relationship with your agent does not improve, cancel your contract with the agent and note that you will be listing with someone else. Get the ok from your agent to do this, and if not, tell him that you will be blasting negative comments about his service to everyone you know. Your agent will not want the bad publicity.  No one, except the very worst, wishes to keep a client by contract alone for the hope of getting some sort of return.

So, what is the goal?  The goal is to start anew and to relist your property so that it looks new on the market.  Pricing is key.  You wish to have it priced at a level that will generate the most interests and the most offers.  You want buyers to compete for your home like in a public auction.  You want your agent to limit the showings to blocks of time so that the buyers can see each other.  You want your agent to be able to say to buyer's agents that you have mulitple offers on your property.  At the end of this  -- -- orchestration -- by your listing agent, you will definately get top dollar for your property.  Remember, the key to this strategy is the price for which you list your property.  This price does not even have to be the price for which you are willing to sell.  But it MUST generate a lot of interests.   Good luck!