What do you give as closing gifts to your buyers and sellers?

Do you always give closing gifts no matter how much the contract? And what do you usually give as a gift?

March 04 2011 - US

Usually a check for several thousand dollars.

At what contract price would you be able to afford giving a check for several thousand dollars? At $150,000 your commission of 3% would be a gross of $4,500. Surely you don't give 45% of your commission back to the buyer or seller at this price point. And how do you give a "check" for that amount of money legally?

Profile picture for shasta_steve
My last agent gave me a $100 home depot card so I could change the locks.  Really he did not have to do it.  It was nice but just doing a good job for me was all I really expected. I in turn recomended him to a friend of mine who later bought a house using him.  I don't remember any other agent actually giving me anything but then again I do not think it is necessary. 

Closing gifts are given by considerate agents. Experienced agents may feel this is a grand way to be remembered for future referrals or repeat business. I think finding a gift to suit the new homeowners with a special personal touch is nice. Cost is up to the giver. Homemade gifts are nice too. Way back when I purchased by first home, the agent gave me a birdhouse he'd made. It was The thought that counts as with any gift from the heart.

You can give gift cards to places they frequent (grocery store/favorite restaurant, drinks, spas, apparel), or flowers.  It really depends on the client and their needs.

I'm still eager to hear how Mike gives a check for "several thousand dollars" as a closing gift. I'm having a hard time believing this. Or was that post supposed to be sarcastic?

Giving gift cards seems to be a perfect idea. Gratitude goes a long way.

Chris -
I just love humor (Mike) when your asking a serious question :)
Depends - I usually base it on the client. For example I handled the purchase for 2 Bend OR police officers - my gift was having a vintage BW photo from the early 1900's of Bend law enforcement enlarged and framed - it was a big hit.
If the clients are social - I throw a house warming party at their new home for 10 to 20 of their friends - I cook, wear a smile and meet new potential clients.
For sales - a pending party - make large framed print of home and have friends/neighbors sign the border.
Just this last week - I presented a 20 page Snapfish photo book of a custom home that we listed and sold - beautiful and memorable.
just a couple ideas

Hi Chris,

I give a nice thank you card with an enclosed gift card that is relevant for the particular client's needs and the amount of the gift card is 5% of the commission that I received.

I provide a 10% discount at Lowe's on the client's next purchase up to $10,000 & a $100 gift certificate from Budget Blinds for window treatments for being my client.

Profile picture for HarjGill
What is the LEGAL maximum amount you can spend on a closing gift for a client

A great gift I've given a seller for a closing gift was a flower pot with a hand painted picture of the house, done by a local artist.  It cost about $35 and the clients were thrilled.  This is of course for a seller who was very emotionally tied to their house. (Not for everyone!)  I've also seen paintings dof the house done on Xmas ornaments.  It's a gift they'll cherish.  I don't always give a closing gift.  It depends on the situation and how my personal finances are at the time.

A finger licking home cooked Mexican meal with fresh ingredients!

I always give a closing gift to my seller or buyer.  I feel that a small gift is appropriate with a hand written, personalized note of thanks. We do love referrals and a remembrance for each client shows appreciation for their confidence in our Quality Service as their chosen Realtor.  Doesn't ever hurt to show a little appreciation for their business...after all they had lots of other realtors from which to choose!

I am a Scentsy Consultant and several of my customers are real estate agents who prefer to give Scentsy packages as a closing gift. It is not your typical candle since they are wickless and there are over 80 scents to choose from. The quality is great and lasts forever. Agents will even receive free product from ordering from me :) If you are interested in giving a great gift I would love to send you a catalog. We ship all over the US!

(removed by moderator for spam)

Profile picture for EmilyClapper
[Promotion and spam hotlink removed by Zillow moderator. Please see our Good Neighbor Policy.]

Sadly, not every single time do I buy a gift,   However, I do have several things sent during the first year they occupy the home. 

Some of the best responses I have gotten are to:
1. have their house cleaned once they are settled.
2. carpet cleaning visit
3.  air duct cleaning
4.  pet wash and groom
5  landscaping gift

I try to come up with something that will make the move easier, fun, or relaxing. It doesn't have to break the bank (or Realtor) to be thoughtful!

Robyn the Realtor in Plano Texas

Okay... I have been seeking for an answer and can not seem to find one.  I heard according to RESPA laws, we can not give our clients gifts.  True?? False??  Curious minds would like to know.

I give my buyers a nice set of spa towels from Nordstroms.  I call ahead to the store and they place them in a beautiful box,  which is huge, with a big bow and clients love it! I never spend more that $100 ... our regs allow us to spend up to ..05% of the sales price on the HUD. 

would you mind telling me where I can find that.  I don't want to do anything I am not suppose to.  THank you.  And very nice touch with the towels!!  :)

I've given gift cards to Toys-R-Us and Bed Bath and Beyond. I really enjoy taking them out to lunch or dinner once they settle in.

In answer to Debbie's question on the legality of a gift to a client.  The IRS allows you to deduct up to  $50 per client for gifts.  I had a tax accountant tell me to claim  a more expensive gift as a promotion or advertising  (disclaimer - I am not a tax expert - you should seek independent tax advice on this issue)
I think you may be confusing the RESPA  rule that states you can't pay a referral fee to non licensed  person
There is no law ( at least in my  state of California)  that limits or disallows aclosing gift to a client, nor is there a limit on the amount you can spend

Thank you Cindy.  I was a little confused as I like to give gifts to my client because I think they need a little something after all the craziness.  :)

me too - I usually get a gift valued between $100 to $500 - depending on the sales price, and if I helped them both sell there home and buy another.

Chris Oconnor, where I live in So Cal you can't buy anything close to $150,000. Half a mil will get you a 2 bedroom condo in the city I live in. That would be what he means by thousands of dollars. That is done easily depending on where you live and do business.

I used to give to my clients  a hand written thank you card for their business and a Home Depot or Lowe's Gift Card based on 5% of my commission.   But now that I've just got my GREEN designation from NAR  I will start giving Eco-Friendly closing gifts like a Home Energy Audit  from their respective local Energy company( an Analysis of how they can make their home more comfortable and maximize savings on the energy bill) or Packs of CFL light bulbs; or instead of a flower arrangement   I thought It would be cleaner and greener to buy a membership tree package that grow well in their area  from the  Arbor Day Foundation and they will be able to choose from a variety of trees to plant in their new home;  if they don't want to plant they could donate the gift to support their community forestry program or donate it to help the Rain Forest Rescue Program.
 I am pretty sure I will come up with more green ideas depending on my clients personalities or needs.

i always give a nice Bar B Q grill , 

We love to give personalized plaques such as "Welcome to the Smith's Lake House", our buyer clients love these plaques! We also give gift cards and baskets.
Sometimes you must get creative. Most recently on the sale of a foreclosure, we gave 4 hours of housekeeping right after the closing because it was the most needed gift at the time! Believe me, the buyers really appreciated it!

I give a Melting pot with frangrance melts and my buyers always tell me how much they enjoy them. Not a pricey gift but one that is always used and i am rembered by.

Something they can use for their new home!

Anything from a barbeque grill to a cleaning treatment once they are settled!

Premier Agent Websites: Have a Question?
Profile picture for Cory Roberts
Latest reply by Cory Roberts
August 03 | 111 answers
Sending listing reports to sellers
Latest reply by The Hishmeh Team
July 31 | 26 answers
Simple ideas every realtor and other professionals on zillow should follow to get a great reputation
Profile picture for Glenn McDonald
Latest reply by Glenn McDonald
July 26 | 73 answers
Profile picture for Shannon Barrett
Latest reply by Shannon Barrett
25 minutes ago | 52 answers
  • Posted by Chris O'Connor
  • In Pro-to-Pro
Use Microsoft Photosynth To Create Your Own Virtual Tours.
Profile picture for Allan Wagner
Latest reply by Allan Wagner
  • Posted by Barrett Powell
  • In Pro-to-Pro