What do you give as closing gifts to your buyers and sellers?

Do you always give closing gifts no matter how much the contract? And what do you usually give as a gift?

• March 04 2011 - US
  • 0

Profile picture for amanda3200
I love to give gifts that are seasonal and that reflect what is important to them. If they enjoy outdoor living--then a tree, or planted pot for the front or back porch. If they love the outdoors a picnic basket with place settings, for the cook--gourmet cooking items. The more thoughtful the better. For the ones I have no clue I usually do several different gift cards geared towards the various family members--even Fido gets a Petsmart gift card!

Have fun with whatever you do and you will feel good about giving them something meaningful to remember you.

Some great ideas for closing gifts;

A night out on the town including paying for the babysitter.
An address stamp with the new address, or note cards with a super imposed image of the new house on the front.
A high quality monogrammed welcome mat.
Something sweet delivered from Mrs. Fields.

You can give gift cards or when there moving on that day bring them lunch

I agree with gift cards.

I believe in my state commission rules we are not to exceed $25, I'm pretty sure.  Each person is individual, but mostly I like to just get a bottle of Champagne $10, it's just the thought,  it makes a nice congratulations. Some people if I  learn they like candles...maybe. Some sellers who really loved their homes I sold for them,  I found this artist who creates these wooden carvings of the house called "replica's", pretty reasonable, like $35 and some sellers fell in love with it.. but only for those who really loved their homes, lived in it for years, etc had some emotional attachment;  not for situations,  i.e. divorce.,etc..
of course that wouldn't be appropriate.   Some transactions, it seems like gifts aren't appropriate, you can tell what type of people would like a gift and others just want you to sell the house...so...different every time.

Profile picture for liz812
A care package of local products from their home state or the state they are moving into.

Profile picture for markrplatt
In 2009 I bought a 350K house and a 150K rental,after that I have bought five other rental properties all from the same realtor, also he leases all for me ( charges me $ 500 each, I pay renters agent 50% months rent) I have never received a gift or offer to reduce commissions. He is a very good agent for me, which is the most important thing, but am I wrong to expect a dinner or ?
Mark

@markrplatt:   I don't know about you, but I've never taken my boss out to dinner on my dime even though she pays me generously (and I'm not the new kid on the block).      If you think that should happen, you may find that the costs are passed on to you in raised charges.   

Closing gifts are not a requirement.   When I'm buying or selling, the best gift I can be given is a fast, easy, successful transaction that gives me top dollar. 

Profile picture for markrplatt
wetdawgs, If you are right how do you explain ALL the realtors who give gifts to their clients?
Mark

I wonder what the percentage is who give a gift?     Last time we bought, we got a gift of a 6 ounce package of gourmet dog biscuits.   We would have been happy without, but the dogs didn't mind. 

I don't evaluate the quality of my experience with an agent by whether or not we get a gift, there are other things that are far more important.   If you are having problems with the other things, then would they be solved by a package of gourmet dog biscuits?

I usually give the 10% discount to Lowes, register them to receive $100 towards furniture with local furniture store and send a gift basket with lots of goodies in it. It is typically very well received:)

Profile picture for timgordons
I bought my home and didnt recieve any gift

I think you have to give what you feel like giving.. most people don't expect anything...but I'm always happy for the clients and feel like a bottle of champagne is nice to say congratulations;and it depends on the people what you think they might like...warmers are nice..candles maybe...something small for the house.. and sometimes nothing, depends..go with your gut...but I don't  think in NJ we're not allowed to go over a $25 limit...I'm pretty sure..

Profile picture for Diane Zima

Depending on the time of year and the client, I like to give them a 'new home' ornament so they think of me every year while decorating.  Also a personalized congratulations card with their names & the date of closing.  IKEA gift card or Lowes or Home Depot etc.

Profile picture for tnt814
It's not required, but since we Realtors are commission-based and only paid if we make a sale, we feel giving a token of our appreciation is a smart move. It shows we know they could've chosen from MANY other agents, but chose to trust us with this huge decision, and we want them to remember us when the time comes for them to buy or sell again, or recommend us to a friend.

I've heard good feedback for some of the Cutco knives with the agents name and phone number engraved. I haven't used it yet but only because I feel a gift with more of a personal touch is more appropriate. Just a thought :)

At tax time, an agent is allowed to declare gifts of no more than $25 value per transaction. The exception would be if the gift could be considered an advertising cost such as knives engraved with the agent's name and contact info, throwing a party where the agent hands out business cards, etc.

With this said, try to make it apply to the particular buyers. Think of conversations during the closing process where they may have mentioned BBQs on the new patio, proximity to certain restaurants, etc.
Also, browse personalized gift websites for great ideas on personalized items that show more thought than generic items.

My tagline is "Relax . . . I'll get you home".  So, I have throw pillows custom made that say: "Relax . . . you're home".  Same font as my branding. 

I feel that closing gifts are a great way to leave a smile on the borrower's face and solidify you in their memory.  As a lender, I give all of my buyers the gift of a professional lock change to secure the safety of their new investment.  I have developed a relationship with a local, reliable locksmith, and people LOVE this very practical gift. 

Profile picture for barbmacneil
I am the seller of my mom's house. It closes in 3 days. She died on 3/2/14 and i signed with him mid-April. This whole process has been surreal for me, but my realtor and his wife have been SO fabulous that I have ordered a gift for them to be delivered the day before the close. I selected a large Edible Arrangements with all of the trimmings. They will never know what they came to mean to me.

Profile picture for Mitchel Campbell
We've found success with using personalized kitchen wear. Depending on the customer and what you know of them, something specific to their interests work great, do they like to BBQ, bake, or even cook at all.  If nothing jumps out about the customer, our default tends to be cutting boards.  We were using some of the cheaper laser etched ones, but last year an intern we had found these guys https://www.blackcanyoncuttingboards.com/closing-gifts/ and we've received great feedback.  As the page says, it's like giving a permanent business card and everything we've bought from them has been great quality.  We've had a couple leads that even mentioned to our agents they'd seen one at a friends house.  Hope that helps!  Keep selling!

Profile picture for Shannon Barrett
From what I understand you can give whatever you feel like giving but if you are doing it for tax purposes $25 is the limit.

People buys houses for different reasons so closing gives should be customize.You know your client figure it out.

I usually get them a gift certificate at a Home Goods store or Home Depot,  Lowes. I usually can tell which store will best suit them. Always well appreciated. Also.I might also get a bottle of wine.

The best gift idea: The best gift to give a client who has recently made a purchase is a ribbon album. Ribbon albums are like gift cards however the client or person receiving the ribbon gift album has no idea of the actual amount spent. The album comes with a wide selection of items and gifts and the client is allowed to choose one item and redeem it as their gift from you. There are different price points with different gifts in each album based on your purchase level. To purchase or get information on Ribbon Albums go to www.a-purelife.com then type Ribbon in the search box. Online you can see the different gift selections that come included in the gift album, choose the one that's best suited for you and your client.

I will create a basket with branded items that are handmade from the local area such as kumquat marmalade.  I also include permanent branded items used in different areas of the home.   The clients appreciate the time and effort and it reflects my level of service to throughout the process.

Profile picture for barbmacneil
You give gifts to buyers, but what about to sellers? If the seller hadn't picked you as the selling agent, you wouldn't gotten the client. Thank you notes via email don't cut it. A handwritten note in a $3 card can be saved along with all of the documents copies you've given, not just your business card.

One gift I have given in the past that helps any new home owner; especially one that is just getting started, is a nice set of pots and pans. 

Profile picture for foxcentric
As a buyer, gifts leave a huge positive impression. I was delighted with a $250 gift card after a recent purchase. The reason I'm looking at this thread is because I'm 10 days past closing on the purchase of a $575k house that was slam dunk easy. My agent knows I'm poised to sell two other properties. I had to find my keys under a rock, and I gave HER a gift. Her lack of acknowledgement means I'm looking at hiring someone else for my future sales, which will be valued at over $800k. Only worse experience was once getting a $100 gift card, later to find out it was never activated and useless. Lost a referral for that guy.

"My agent knows I'm poised to sell two other properties. I had to find my keys under a rock, and I gave HER a gift. "

Terrible. I'd be tempted to show that agent just where to put the rock I found my keys under. lol Start looking for another agent and don't be about telling her why you're not choosing her if she calls to solicit more of your business. 

Agents who drop the ball once you sign in escrow are agents who don't need more of your business. Even a good agent may not give you a pricey gift, but no good agent stops representing you or your interests until the deal is 100% done. 

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3