What do you love most about Home Ownership?

With so much talk about the American Dream of Home Ownership being out of reach for so many now, I thought if we could hear back from people on what they love most about their home and/or ownership, it could help boost spirits of potential buyers.

• July 26 2011 - US

Im closing on my first home in late August. What am I looking forward to the most? Not worrying about my landlord's feelings on dogs, being able to impulsively paint a room, the ability to cut down an annoying apple tree. Last but most importantly, simple pride of ownership. It is mine. I worked for it. There is a lot to be said for that.

Love your response as that is exactly what home ownership should feel like.  As tough as it is to sometimes get a mortgage approval or save for a down payment, it truly is worth it in the long run to become a homeowner :)

Being a dog owner myself - I know exactly where your coming from :)
Enjoy your home!

Profile picture for blue screen exile
Who wants to waste their time and money cutting down a tree, whether it is annoying or not?

And if it is that annoying, why did you chose there in the first place?  Don't forget that temperatures will rise inside the house when you cut trees down.

And some cities and states have tree protection ordinances, some of which even apply to back yard trees.

As for the dogs; plenty of neighbors can still complain, and the health department and humane society, and code enforcement can complain and take action under some cases too.

And until it is fully paid for, the mortgage company is listed first on the title, thus it is only pretend ownership.

Yes I own and fully paid off the mortgage several years ago...  so about the only "advantage" is not having to make any payments.  And since I know what typically might fail, I have supplies on hand for maintenance, so I can get things taken care of much faster than having to call someone in, or have someone else call someone in.

Sure, I enjoy telling Realtors to stop trespassing and stop littering my yard and porch, and to stop making illegal marketing calls to me... but I would enjoy it much more if the Realtors just stopped intentionally harassing owners, and stopped trying to get houses flipped every few years.

Perhaps if I rented instead, I wouldn't get those annoying harassing calls 40 times a week?