Profile picture for Natn

What does 0.75 of a bath mean?

• September 20 2009 - Ventura
  • 0

Profile picture for Melody91

Natn-

This is Melody chiming in again- as the topic did shift from 0.75 bath with your assuming it makes NO difference in value whether you do a Full Bath or 0.75 of a Bath; that seems to to an invalid conclusion.

Having already stated below, that I have designed a small bathroom, and had added some of the ideas that I had thought to designed for extra  storage space,  that did NOT take up an extra floor space, I see that AgentNWHome.us agrees with me about both the comfort, value and energy saving (plus added home value) in doing Radiant Heating under the Floor and the Green Living Approach.

After I wrote my last contribution, I remembered several other  Value Adding items I'd thought of, that were inexpensive, only BECAUSE it was a small space. In case that helps, here are a few more:

1. Since it IS a small area, ALL Granite Places have a yard of Left-Over pieces, that they sell very ...OK, cheap.  I was able to obtain 3/4" left over slab for under $20 a square foot, without the cost of cutting & installation. Still, for a tiny bathroom, it is worth every penny, for your living pleasure, Plus adds Value to your Home.
2. You can also have them install a hole for a soap dispenser (to put under the surface); these dispensers are also very reasonable at Home Depot, and keep counters clearer. One can also have another hole drilled to the left, if you want for anti-bacterial liquids, or for hand-softeners, to suit your needs, again, with the goal of freeing up counter space, to keep it neat, & less cluttered.
3. For such small spaces, one CAN get lucky & purchase a 'buy' on discontinued TILES from the tile store. They have sections; also some tiles (not on sale) are relatively inexpensive; and for a pop of splash here and there, one can splurge on a reasonable theme with varaiants of the same size; another splash I happen to like, is depending for whom, and theme of the bathroom or kitchen, GROUTS do come in many colors.
That can also give a different look to the floor or the tile of your shower.

If you decide to DO a shower, and do tile, make sure it is the special non-skid type for floors!
4. Also, if you do a shower, for a reasonable amount of money, you CAN have a small triangle seat installed...that adds comfort AND value.
5. If you want a 'pop' for extra enjoyment & value, a strip of non-sale tiles can be put in the middle...or here and there, in a modernistic, symmetrical --asymmetrical pattern. (I've done that in kitchens, bathrooms, etc.). If you get the recycled kind for the 'pop' of dash, it also adds to the Green Living for our planet, AND increases your Value at the same time.
6. I also remembered that in one small bathroom, (as there is hardly room to bend over to clean) I decided to check out a sink cabinet that was off the floor...also at a Home Depot type store.  It turned out good in two ways:
   A. It is s snap for the Owner or anyone to clean under; and,
   B. It gives a more modern  & fresh appearance.
7.Also, I  remembered  purchasing a multi-sectional medicine cabinet, that had double faceted mirror inside & out, from Home Depot. To do it asymmetrically looked modernistic, and gave capability to store larger items on one side.,
8. NOT to be overlooked, are the types of hand-pulls and knobs you chose. These ought to coordinate with the type of faucet you choose.
They also ought to be on ALL of that rooms cabinet doors, etc; and the robe hangers (on the back of the door)  the toilet paper holder.
While these may seem like 'nit-picking' they DO add to the overall look of a professional and finished product.
Another place I had luck finding such items for another place, was on E-Bay!
9. Last item I can think of, and NOT to save money on (while also not going Mercedes) is the Light Fixtures...plus dimmers. There also ought to be a built in night light.
    All in all, in Kitchens and bathrooms, it is claimed that people look at the finishes you have; and 'IF they are up to the minute', people assume you have taken the same care throughout the rest of the home.

Sorry to be so long-winded; however, when designing, I think in detail; and I only learn from detailed descriptions. I feel somewhat self-conscious taking up so much space; yet love Design very much!

Could someone from the Staff kindly/politely tell me, if ,despite my good motivation, this is to long or too much for this site?
     Thank you kindly.  ~Mel
I

There are 4 fixtures used to count up the bath, each have an assigned value of 1/4.

1. Commode =  1/4
2. Sink  =  1/4
3. Tub nozzle    =  1/4
4. Shower head =  1/4

If the bath has one of these it is 1/4 bath.
2 of these is a 1/2
3 of these is a 3/4
all 4 is a  full bath.

Your 3/4 bath probably has a commode, sink, and either a shower or tub.

Profile picture for Judy Bibbings
.75 bath means the same as 3/4 bath.

The differences are:

1. Half bath + sink and stool

2. .75 or 3/4 bath + sink, stool and shower

3. Full bath + tub, shower, sink and stool

Hope that helps!

Profile picture for nwhome.us
OH Yeh!
The heated floor!
I'd never do another bath for myself without one.  My toes smile just thinking about it.
I like Melody's green approach, too.  I believe there is value there...

Profile picture for Melody91
Natn-

Your original question was how one defines 0.75 of a bath?

Now, a day or so later, you talk about small space, and conclude that it makes no difference to the value of your home whether you add a full bathroom, (as defined by a sink, tub with shower, and toilet)  OR 3/4 of a bathroom?

It seems to me, at some point you took a left turn without signaling, AND we/you switched topics or conclusions.
WHAT HAPPENED?

Humbly stated, I do not believe your conclusion is necessarily correct.
I always thought that full bathrooms are assessed at a higher value than ones with less than a full bath.

Another responder validly added that it depends on what kinds of materials & finishes, etc. are used, which also get reflected in the value.

If you have room for a tub, & DO have the extra $$$, PLUS expect to stay in this home for 5 or 5+ years, I would get an estimate of how much more the same size tub with jets, only if you enjoy that, (plus the shower added) would cost. This does add value. (I personally do not enjoy jet tubs.)

There are people who specialize in space design. You might want to consult with one of them.

Also, this is the day, thank goodness, of Green Living.
If you install heating under the floor, radiant heating, it both saves fuel and adds to the value of your bathroom and home.

The kind of tile you select also does the same.
If you get a vessel sink, (none less than 6" deep ought to be considered) there are some lovely ones, that add both modernity, value, and more space under the sink.

I happen to watch for bargains, and have found good deals on both kinds of bathroom sinks on E-Bay, of all places, PLUS the faucet parts.

If space is very limited, like for storing towels, I myself came up with 6 ideas (which added worth) when designing a small bathroom.

1. One was a large heated towel rack, which stores many towels, (and I hear can be used to dry delicate laundry, which was never tried).

2. Above the heated towel rack, I decided that a butler type shelf, which happened to fit perfectly, was another place to store extra (& larger) shower/bath towels.

3. The type of toilet you choose also makes a difference.
There is a large variety of choices...like size, shape, and types of flush...to take into account.

4. I also go for NO -VOC paints, and previously LOW-VOC paints (before the NO-VOC ones were available).  In case this is not known to you...it stands for Volatile Organic Compounds, which are chemicals in the paint that add to 'indoor pollution' (which I understand to be 10 times the amount of outdoor pollution) .
I have seen that dollar for dollar one gets ALL one spend, and sometimes even more, returned in Value Added for the Green Living additions.

5. I added in the shower area (actually in ALL bathrooms) a Rain Shower Spray. These are the current rage. One can spend a fortune or a mere @$39 at a Home Depot for one only.
They come in different shapes and cover various amounts of area.

6. I added (and Women like this most) a 'Self-Lowering Toilet (Seat) With Lid.'
There are electronic ones that do the Lowering automatically via Sensors. (I didn't like the electrical cost, and did not go for that.)
There is also an economical variety, also for sale at places like Home Depot, that are inexpensive, and require Only a mere slight push downward .
 If I recall correctly, they were under $50. They also add value to your Home Improvement, & add appeal in several ways: modernity; practicality; in training little boys; bigger ones too, to leave lids closed; and add to more hygienic living (regarding coliform bacteria ).

Certainly, I DO hope that my comments clarified the leap in conclusion that you made, (when I blinked) and makes you consult a local Realtor and or Architect, to see if what I said holds weight in your area.
I also hope that my own mini- ideas may spark more within you.
    Lots of luck, and let us know BOTH, what they advise you and what you decide.  
    Sincerely,
        Melody91

Profile picture for nwhome.us
That's right. The value will only be in the types of finishes you use not whether it has a bath or a shower.
What does Remodeling Magazines Cost vs Value Report have to say?

Profile picture for Natn
Thank you All!
I am planning to remodel to add a guest bath and figuring out how to fit in  a small space. I played witht he zillow estimator and there seems to be almost no difference in propety value increase, whether you add 1 bath or .75 bath.
Does this seem right?

Profile picture for Melody91
All of the above are correct.

Profile picture for droopyd
A 3/4 bath would have a simple shower stall.

A bath without a bathtub but with an oversized "spa-style" shower as large as a bathtub should be counted as a full bath.

A .75 bath has a sink, toilet and a shower and no tub.  To count it as a full bath it should have a tub.

Profile picture for nwhome.us
Sink, toilet, and the shower.  

How is a bathroom counted if it has a sink, toilet, tub and shower?  This is a trick question.

Shower - no tub.