Profile picture for premera

What does one do when a contract with a realtor is not working due to the realtors incompentancy???

I have not been able to reach my realtor on regular basis and she only replies when she has time. She listed me and says "this house won't sell for years" and refused to list with sufficient time to take advantage of the incentive in April. Please e-mail music2u@sbcglobal.net. She did not update photos after taking them for months. Thank you so much.
  • August 08 2010 - Town of Beloit
  • 0

Profile picture for Brian French
You always have the power to fire her.  She may argue that you have no right to fire her, but you have the power.  The difference is that once you tell her (her broker) that you have terminated the listing, they must remove it from the mls, take down their sign and generally end their agency relationship.  We (real estate agents) have a statutory duty to comply with your orders.  BUT, she (her broker) may argue that you wrongfully terminated the agreement and ask for compensation for doing so. 

Talk to the broker.  Tell her/him your concerns.

Profile picture for rockinblu
Okay, I'm going to make this plainer. I totally disagree with everyone that posted that you should have any further contact with your agent. She's not interested in your listing. Everyone take a hint.

Premara, do as I said in my previous post, and don't waste anymore time with her.

Profile picture for HH0101
I agree ensuring communication between client and agent is a key to an effective relationship. There are several ways you can approach the situation, however having a meeting with her face to face would probably be the most efficient at this time. After the sit down if you are not satified with her explanation of things than I would recommend taking further action. Sometimes the agent must find the most effect use of their time. And given the current market in many places it is with the homes that will sell quicker, this will allow more ability to advertise and move other properties that can't sell as fast on their own.

Hope that helps.

Profile picture for rockinblu
premara,

I like your agent's positive thinking? ;) That being said, and not knowing the exact situation, she might just be giving you her honest opinion, but that still doesn't excuse her from an honest effort.

As Joan and others have stated, talk to the managing broker, but I would be more aggressive than some have indicated you should be. I would diplomatically demand another agent be assigned to your listing subject to your approval. I would tell the broker that If none meets it, that you want a full, and complete release from the listing contract. The other agent has possibly wasted enough valuable time with a lackadaisical effort already.

In making a selection on a new agent, you might want to refer to this. Good luck.

You need to sit down with your agent, tell them what you expect and ask if they can assist you. if not ask for a release and find soemone who can assist you. You need to assess if it is that they are not willing to help or not able. Ask for a current broker price oppinion, make sure your house is priced at or below current market value. make sure your pictures in the mls are current. good luck with your sale

It's hard to make an recommendation based on your question. But communication is key to any professional relationship. Call her, voice your concerns and tell her she needs to be more available to you. returning your calls etc. if your calling her 10 times a day then that's another issue. She needs to follow through on anything promised in your listing contract, if not you can cancel your listing with her for non preformance, before you do that have a talk with her broker. He/she is the true owner of your contact. Good Luck

I think we are being way to quick to fault the agent.  That does not mean the concerns are not genuine.  All markets are different.  I know in my previous state little advertising was done as the market time was very long.  Where I am at now in 06 and 08 the market was red hot.  You could afford to do a lot more because you were turning over every 28 days.  It is different now.  Have a sit down with your agent.  Tell her you do not believe you are getting the effort you expected.  Perhaps your expectations are too high given the current market.  If that conversation does not work, then have a joint meeting with her and her broker.  If all else fails cancel your listing and find another agent.  Nine times out of ten the problem is about communication.

I agree with Joan, in that there seems to be more at play than what has been shared. That's not to say that you're not telling the whole truth, but that there seems to be some miscommunication going on.

First, don't confuse "complacent" for "incompetent". Neither is excusable (i.e., either way, you should get someone else), but why did the REA say "this house won't sell for years"? Are you overpriced for the current market? Are you competing with a lot of nearby foreclosures? What's the average time on market in your locale, and what have the properties sold at (vice asking)?

It's possible, for a variety of reasons, that the REA took the listing at a higher asking price than the current market will support. This is not smart, but it happens. This could explain, though not excuse, her complaceny. In short, is it possible that no amount of marketing is going to get your house sold at its current asking price?

Bottom line...

It does sound like you need a new REA, even if it's just to "get a fresh start". But, take a hard look at why you are in the current situation. If your house is going to be a difficult sell, that explains a lot of your current REAs antipathy. More important, at this time, is understanding the "why's" and addressing them as you move forward.

Start with her and see if she will cancel the listing. Next if that fails contact her manager or broker if she has one. They may be able to improve your service or cancel the listing. If that fails and she is a Realtor and not just an agent her local Realtor association may offer options. A complaint to your state licensing authority may damage her but may not help you.

Wow.  Can I ask why you hired this person in the first place?

Express your concerns to your agent's broker.  I realize that I am only hearing one side of the story ( I have a strong feeling something is missing between her listing your house and telling you it won't sell for years), but for the amount of money you would pay in commission, you want to know your agent is doing their job, communicating what it is that they are doing and doing it respectfully.
You may want to try to have a sit down with your agent and tell her everything you said here.  Sometimes there are misunderstandings that can be cleared up with a simple heart to heart talk.

Or sometimes you may just need another agent.