Profile picture for chris24e

What happens in Seattle if a building permit expires before inspections are complete?

Situation:
- Building permit issued to remodel
- Work is completed
- Some inspections were never ordered (framing, final) and the permit has expired

Can we just not do anything?  Will the city notice that some of the inspections have been completed and the permit has expired?  Will it be a violation?
  • July 31 - Seattle

Profile picture for nwhome.us
I have a confession to make: I was in this situation myself.  I pulled a Subject to Inspection permit for my kitchen remodel that was in a non-conforming space.  The architect made all the right compliance elements work so it was a very simple project to have approved.  I didn't do the work for 1 1/2 years and a neighbor turned me in.  A red tag with just painting to complete. Screw 'em.

So about five years later I protested my property tax and low and behold it was on record.  It is actually pretty easy to look up in the public record.  I spent the next five years wondering about it, little wasted brain cells.

I finally had another architect redo the application, paid my $200 in fees and had it inspected.  The inspector walked in and said: "Oh, it looks done". OMG!  The wasted brain cells I used on worry!

Conclusion:  It is really cheap to renew a permit within a certain period of time (6-12 months). Get it done and get the C of O.

Every little hiccup that you present to a buyer in the future is an opportunity for that buyer to renegotiate your asking price.  Eliminate this one.
  • July 31

Profile picture for daveskow
Chris - likely a violation ...likely wont be an issue in the future  UNLESS someone asks for copies of the valid permits  for soem reason  or if the assessors  office  follows up on the original permits ...
  • July 31

This is the sort of thing that is best answered by the building permit office.  Go to your local handy dandy pay phone (if there is still one in Seattle) so you can make an anonymous call!

Yes, it is a violation to not have it fully signed off.  While they aren't likely to do anything, they could come and yank your CO
  • July 31