Profile picture for aknight3

What is a memorable gift for your buyers?

• August 18 2010 - Easley

Best Answer

I try to buy things like food baskets, fresh flowers, etc. that can be used up and then disposed of.  Most people don't want to junk up their new home with candles they don't like, potpourri that they don't like, etc.

For buyers or sellers I will offer to send a professional massage therapist to their home with candles, music and some much needed relaxation. 

I've hosted some great housewarming parties with a special drawing or giveaway sponsored by the lender.  

If my client/clients have family coming into town for the closing I'll send them all out to a nice restaurant and call ahead to cover their bill.

Profile picture for blue screen exile
Doug posted the same idea as Sarah, but posted it on August 18.

I guess there is nothing like repeating someone else's idea...

I have a housewarming partying from them and their friends.  They love it and it gives me an opportunity to meet potential new clients.

I have learned to make fruit bouquets and think they make great gifts.

I finally came up with a real reply for this. 

Many buyers will be moving themselves. They will be loading and unloading all their stuff. How about simply giving them 1 day helping them to move their stuff into their new house? An extra pair of hands could be very helpful. If your client was a bit disabled or elderly it would be especially appreciated.

I really think someone might forget who you are just from giving them some small gift. But someone who actually helps a buyer to move in is more likely to be remembered. 

This is also the cheapest gift that can be given. It just costs gas to get to their dooryard. Once their I bet many would even buy your supper in appreciation of your efforts in all ways.

Can you imagine this as a testimonial?

My realtor helped me in all ways. From the beginning helping me to find financing to finding the house then getting inspections and finally helped me to move in. <--- THAT in your files just could be what brings buyers to you instead of a competitor.

Going the extra mile pays off long term.

Frame a nice picture of their new home and you can attach a small name plate on the bottom with the date of the sale. Then find out when they are moving in and have a pizza delivered to the home that day.

A memorable gift could be a security system.  Every time they leave their new home and turn on their alarm they will think of you and be grateful. You protected their interests during the purchasing phase and now helping to protect their home where they raise their family.  

Profile picture for natewolf
In North Carolina there are pretty strict rules about the amount you can spend on a gift without disclosing it on the HUD-1.

It usually depends on the client and the purchase.

A bottle of Champagne is usually pretty memorable.

I've bought lawn mowers for clients who buy a big yard.

I've bought big grills for clients -- they come in all price ranges -- and made sure I get invited to the first party.

I've even bought a "The Smith Family WELCOME HOME"  sign with their names to announce their move to the neighbors with balloons and posted it before the closing in their new driveway. I came by a few months later and found they had posted it on their garage wall and saw it every day when they came home. My name and website were discretely at the bottom.

Fruit baskets and gift cards

The most memorable gift of all would be a paid off mortgage at closing.

If a buyer has a strong interest in something, tie your gift into that. If not, try to gift something that the buyer will use, I.e. cleaning supplies, gift card for eating out while they are moving in, or help them find (and pay a portion) of their moving van expenses.

I try to listen through the buying process to see what the client wants or needs.
Gift certificate to home improvement store, beach chairs and supplies for a beach house, one time the inspector said we needed an address plate that could be seen from the street so I bought that with a little light, gift certicates to the local restaurants.....

Profile picture for aknight3
Fantastic idea! thanks shayne

I always try to listen for something they want to do or get for the home-for example, a new BBQ grill or the like.

Profile picture for broker_GRI
Commission a small painting of their new home.

I was fortunate enough to be close to Monterey bays Cannery Row (lot's of artists)

Profile picture for blue screen exile
Well, I was thinking of something along the same line as "suckers"; but didn't want to mention it as I thought it would be too insulting.

But now that suckers were suggested...
A Kitchen Trash Can, to remember the Realtors by at least 3 times a day.

Profile picture for Doug Emde
We schedule a housewarming/meet the new neighbors party for about a month after the closing.  We handle the invitations, refreshments, everything.  They love it!

Profile picture for rockinblu
Maybe a box of suckers.................well you said "memorable" didn't you?

Profile picture for blue screen exile
A check for $250k would be very memorable.

I absolutely cannot remember what my agent gave me...  it was not memorable at all.  And the expensive calendar sent out every year never gets used.

Yes, gift cards for food, gasoline, or a home improvement store will be used.  But will anyone remember what was given or what the card was spent on?

And that "kiss" suggestion will work only in very limited circumstances.
For us none-alcohol drinkers at the risk of going over the edge; the wine gift doesn't work at all either.

How about a digital camera and computer software for inventorying and tracking all ones possessions for insurance purposes, and to help with that "unpacking"?

If you actually got to know your client when spending all that time looking, you could buy something useful, like a Microwave.  Since you already know the kitchen colors and the available space, you should be able to select the right one.  But you need to know what appliances they already have.

For someone moving out of a parent's house, a really good vacuum cleaner comes in handy.

And then there is Don Aslett's book "500 Terrific Ideas for Cleaning Everything".  (no, a "knock off" will not do).

How about a 32" LCD high definition television?  (No, I don't want any TV in my house, but most people do, and most don't mind an "upgrade").

Give to him a kiss.

I give a gift card to a home improvement store. Even on new construction buyers end up at the hardware store buying something for their home - plants for the yard, paint, etc. They appreciate the thought and I know it gets put to good use!

I have had great responses giving bottles of wine as a gift.  There are several companies in California where you can buy a box of wine (red, white, or rose) and they will put personal labels on the wine for you.  It's actually fairly inexpensive and the clients always have a great reaction.