What is a resonable time frame your your realtor to return an email?

I sent my realtor (the 1st day since meeting) an email in the morning and have yet to recieve a phone call or email in return.(almost 5pm) There is a home I am interested in and would like to go see it ASAP. am i being unresonable to expect an email or phone call before close of business?
  • May 07 2012 - Crofton
  • 0

Best Answer

Unless they are on vacation and depending on their schedule for the day, a good agent will get back to you within an hour or two and setup a time to get you in to view the home when it is convenient for you, the seller, and the agent.

Reasonable is a very subjective word.  What is reasonable for you may not be for me.  Using your word reasonable, it is not reasonable to assume that if you call in the AM to see a property that you could see it immediatedly.  The buyer agent, will need to contact the listing agent and assume that unless the property is vacant and it is a single agent showing, that it can be seen in less than 24 hours.  Most properties that are occupied require 24 hours notice.  Discuss with your buyer agent what you consider to be a reasonable time to respond and what is reasonable notice to see properties.

According to research done by an independent firm for home buyers, it has been determined that 97% of consumers expect a return contact within 4 hours.  It was also determined that 37% of the same consumers expected a contact immediately.  I am not in a position to give you the research data but I can definitely provide you later with the link if necessary.  So to answer your question, no you are not being unreasonable.  You are within expectations of other consumers. You deserve a reasonable response even if this agent has to acknowledge that he received your message and get back to you shortly.  I hope this helped.

Have you tried to call them or text them? It is possible they didn't receive the email. Try another method to get ahold of them!
Sincerely,
Marney Kirk
Keller Williams Excellence Realty

Profile picture for Cindy Quinton
I can also tell you that before I became an agent, I would often wait days (or forever) for an agent to return my calls or emails. I finally found a good agent, but it was sometimes frustrating.

Profile picture for Rich Thomas
The agent should have contacted you already.  I agree that an hour or two is what you should expect. Giving them the full business day is reasonable but shouldn't be the norm.

Although it is frustrating not to receive a return call and/or email the same day, there are extenuating circumstances that sometimes prevent agents from doing so. They could be out showing property, with clients, out of the service area, out of town -- sometimes there are valid reasons. However, I always sent a short message letting people who contact me know that I'm with clients, etc. and will get back with them as soon as I'm able to do so, and then follow-up as quickly as I can. Don't kick them to the curb just yet as there may be a valid reason why you've not yet been contacted. If you don't hear back from them by the morning, call again. If still no response, I'd suggest contacting another agent so you can see that property. Good luck!

Part-Time Agent?

Profile picture for Cindy Quinton
It depends, to be honest. I feel that it is one of the things agents and clients should discuss up front. I would simply call him/her, because to me an email doesn't express urgency. Also, many sellers require a 24 hour notice to see their property.

If you expect to be called back by the same business day, you should discuss this with your agent, and if they can't meet your needs, you should find a different one.