What is needed to change a duplex to a triplex?

I'm looking at a duplex right now. Rental on 1st and 2nd floor. There is a high ceiling unfinished basement that has a outside entrance and is plumbed. I would like to purchase this and live in the basement and remodel it. When I'm finished I might like to move out and buy a single family house. The property is in Seattle and zoned LR2. I don't know much about duplexes and I wanted to know what it takes to get the property re-designated to triplex once I'm finished and want to move out so I can legally rent the basement as well. I did some online research on the matter but I'm coming up short. Any help appreciated, thanks!
  • July 13 2013 - Seattle

I agree with John...I would only add that I think you should take photos of the location to carry with you when you go to the Planning Department. I wouldn't take advice from anyone else. Your local city planning is the one that has the answers you need. Good luck. Sounds like it will be great income if you can get it approved! I definitely wouldn't try to rent it out until you have approval from the city! Nor would I do too much work on it prior to getting it approved.

Profile picture for nwhome.us
You might think about making a trip to the DPD (Department of Planning and Development) because the issues will be with code conformance in habitable space.

There are description on ceiling height in the entire space and egress from the a bedroom.  A door doesn't cut it, you'll need another legal form of escape from the bedroom.

Making it legal will add  more value than doing it illegally.